Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
well today i decided to commute home on the bike. last time i rode was maybe a week ago. another short trip around the block. well it was fun as hell today even tho i didnt really do anything fun. just rode in traffic. but before the ride i put on some earplugs. lemme just say wearing them makes riding so much more enjoyable. the loud noise from the engine and all the cars around was something that i always had a hard time dealing with. well with the earplugs on everything is so much quieter. the only noise u hear when riding is the engine but a lot less noisy, and cars passing next to u. everything thats a distance away doesnt reach ur ears. i will never ride w/o plugs again. for those of u who are like me and hate how noisy motorcycles can be, give them a try. it takes a lil longer for me to gear up now b4 i start riding, but its extremely worth it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It also saves your hearing, that is unless you like to go around with a constant ringing going on in one or both of your ears........;)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
well today i decided to commute home on the bike. last time i rode was maybe a week ago. another short trip around the block. well it was fun as hell today even tho i didnt really do anything fun. just rode in traffic. but before the ride i put on some earplugs. lemme just say wearing them makes riding so much more enjoyable. the loud noise from the engine and all the cars around was something that i always had a hard time dealing with. well with the earplugs on everything is so much quieter. the only noise u hear when riding is the engine but a lot less noisy, and cars passing next to u. everything thats a distance away doesnt reach ur ears. i will never ride w/o plugs again. for those of u who are like me and hate how noisy motorcycles can be, give them a try. it takes a lil longer for me to gear up now b4 i start riding, but its extremely worth it.
Exactly.

What kind of plugs are you using? Im using the Macks or generic Rite Aid brand Silicone ones that kinda squish into your ear. I noticed that the Silicon ones stay in place better when you move your helmet etc.. while the foam ones tend to move out of place easy.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use Hearos Extreme (blue foam ones I pick up at the drugstore). I use them for a couple or three days and then chuck them. They're cheap. The trick to the foam earplugs is make sure you roll them into a small cylinder and jam that sucker WAY in there. When you think they're hitting your brain, that's about right (only half kidding). If you just stick them in the outer ear, it may actually make noise louder or not do much at all. People's ear canals are all shaped/sized different so you may have to experiment with different brands to find what works for you.

Riding is much more enjoyable with the reduced noise. I think it keeps you fresher on long rides too because the constant wind roar is tiring.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Always ridden with plugs....wouldn't have it any other way.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
yea it took me over 2 years of riding to finally try them. and now never gonna go back.

im gonna try different types to see which fits best. right now im using the green foam ones. i do exactly what garry said, and so far they've been working ok. hardly any movement.

i highly recommend it to those who havent tried it yet. even with the visor up, the noise is hardly there.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I always ride with them as well.

--David

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by TL1000s

It also saves your hearing, that is unless you like to go around with a constant ringing going on in one or both of your ears........;)
very true...i love earplugs

so much more quite

·
Registered
748 Posts
[:M10]
crazy how difficult it is to convince some folks to wear earplugs or proper protective gear... but usually once they finally do, they can't imagine ever going without.

i've tried several types/brands of earplugs (including the silicone rubber type) and found the Howard Leight LaserLites (yellow&pink) to be most comfortable for me. and like garry says, roll them up and push them in 'til they just touch my brain. hehe and at times i've been in a rush and don't properly fit them and it seems to increase the noise.

i usually don't bother with the earplugs for short rides (to the store and back) but have found that they are awesome for the longer rides. though after ~6 hours my ear canal begins to itch.[xx(]

·
Registered
874 Posts
I wear Mack foam ones all the time. Got a box of 20 pairs, I think for like $5 from Target.

Found for best fit, like the others have said, rolled it so it's thin and plug it into my brain. Do it quickly, keep it in place while the foam expands. Repeat for other side.

I wear them even for short rides, takes less than a minute (literally) to put them in. I now disklike riding without them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Originally posted by TL1000s

WHAT? SPEAK UP, THERE'S A CONSTANT RINGING IN MY EARS... !

·
Registered
443 Posts
i used to use my ipod all the time but i dont want to make myself any deafer than i already am...

doesn't wearing earplugs hinder any chances of hearing persay a car sneaking up on you (which is another reason i stopped listening to my ipod)? i didn't want to take the chance of a car crashing into when i could have avoided it, if i had heard it.

i will definitely give earplugs a shot though. the only downside is that in hawaii EVERY ride is going to be a "short ride"... 30 minutes tops.

·
Registered
748 Posts
dude, how quiet is your helmet with the wind noise?? if a car is that quiet that i can't hear them above the wind noise and engine noise, earplugs aren't going to matter. but I am preserving my hearing. how well are you going to hear that car in say...5 years if you continue to suffer hearing loss? you have a misperception that earplugs block out *all* noise.

all i can say is give it a try and you'll understand what we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I love riding with ear plugs. I was hooked as soon as I realized that you could get tinitis from not using them. Previously, I had used them only for band rehearsal, but they do make riding more enjoyable. I actually ride harder in the twisties because it stops the engine from giving me the impression that its going to blow up any second, kinda takes the stressed sound away from engine and makes the bike sound better.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
yup give it a try. they cost almost nothing, take only a few seconds to put on, but will make a huge difference. trust me once u do it, u wont go back. like was said, its one of those things u have to TRY for urself.

Originally posted by rockstar84
I actually ride harder in the twisties because it stops the engine from giving me the impression that its going to blow up any second, kinda takes the stressed sound away from engine and makes the bike sound better.
AGREED!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've tried ear plugs a couple times, but only with out a helmet. ( with a helmet isint loud enough to warrant them.) I noticed the earplugs stuck out of my ears far enough to cause all kinds of windnoise on there own. I wanna tape my ears back.[:0] or maybe try a sweat band over them( i have big wind flap ears) they seem to be the cause of all my wind noise. I also noticed i had a harder time not speeding with the ear plugs in. And i also kept finding myself riding with the revs lower than i like. To each his own i guess

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
i actually cruise in a higher RPM now, b/c of what was said b4 about not hearing/being annoyed by the loud noise of the engine. it doesnt bother me anymore.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I rode with them the other night for a short distance and kept thinkin the engine was gonna blow up just because of how used I am to hearing the engine muffled out with them in lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.