Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was lucky enough to find a used 2008 250R with 800 miles on it. I've owned it for about 3 weeks and have already put over 700 miles on it. I hit an oil slick today in a u-turn, and rolled it today. Im okay, besides some minor scrapes, but the right fairing on my 250R, along with the right headlight, got pretty beat up.

I have been looking around online at parts and such, but this is my first bike, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I was hoping I could tap into this community to see where you guys would suggest as far as attaining new bodywork for my bike. My bike is red, but I'd ideally like to have it custome painted (possibly by me) in the future. I think I'd also like to get frame sliders on it. Do you all have any suggestions for me to buy affordable bodyparts from? I appreciate your advice so much. THanks :)

Rhequiem

·
Registered
560 Posts
Damn that Kawasaki for making a bike that crashes so easily!

Glad to hear you are OK. :)

Were you wearing your gear?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Forget the fairings because you'll drop it again, and again, and again. Improve on your skills first. Use that money towards cornering school or trackday. I'm serious.

G

·
bikebandit isn't too bad either
good luck on the repairs - post up or send a pm if you need help with anything - first step is the service manual and a rear stand if you don't have one...

G

·
cheapcycleparts is amazing... and I forgot to mention that I have a right passenger peg bracket if you need one...

·
Registered
102 Posts
...but the right fairing on my 250R, along with the right headlight, got pretty beat up....

Rhequiem

Good thing your Left headlight is still okay, that thing is so impossible to get a hold off... ;)

Glad that your okay. Best thing to do is NOT to replace the fairings right away. there other things you can buy for $200. Leather pants or a suit is a good start. I'd hate for you to drop the bike again after replacing the pretty fairings. Frame sliders are good, but dont count on them to save the fairings. And at this time, i dont even know how well they will protect the bike.

But all in all, ride safe and put another 1000 miles before doing anything to it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yes, i'd actually go for the frame sliders. they can help protect your bike when you drop them, but don't count on it too much. frame slider can only help you though. just remember to ride safe.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I hit an oil slick today in a u-turn, and rolled it today. Im okay, besides some minor scrapes, but the right fairing on my 250R, along with the right headlight, got pretty beat up.
Something just occured to me that nobody else has brought to attention:

When one makes a U-turn (especially in the US) you make a left turn, you lean the bike to the left. If you take a spill on a slick in a U-turn, you spin out to your left, which generally makes the bike fall onto its left side. Even if you used the front brake on the slick, you should still be falling to the left.

Unless you were traveling at some high rate of speed and slid across the slick and catapulted yourself off the bike after coming upon dry asphault I can't see how you fell to the right.

Just curious now, not trying to open you up to public ridicule, but how did you manage to damage the right side?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The 09 250s are coming out with training wheels for anyone that has no riding experience. The first 1000 miles are mandatory train wheel riding with a 4000 RPM limit. The dealer is the only one who can remove the training wheels and unlock the tach so the bike can rev higher. Any alterations to training wheels or tach will result in a cancelation of the warantee. Personally I feel they should raise the 1000 miles to 5000 miles for the safety of the rider, unless the rider agrees to wear an airbag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the advice and well wishes, everyone! I will have a look at cheapskates for sure.

Man, I really have to remember to use my spell check! I fat-finger one word (it was just an E added to the end! You guys are merciless! he he) and you are all over me. Lesson learned ;)

I was going to take a picture of the damage, but it's been awhile since I've used my camera, and the battery was drained. Perhaps I'll see if I can just get a body guy to patch it up a little. It breaks my heart every time I see it :(

I was wearing my helmet and jeans, but had only a short sleeved shirt on. So I got some rub on my right knee and elbow. And to answer you (TheDuck) about how I ended up damaging the right side, I will try to explain what happened in a little more detail. I was making a left U-turn, and I did lean left. Then the rear tire slid out when it hit the oil, at which point I put my left foot down (instinctively - I understand that this might not have been the best move) to try to keep the bike up. Then the bike hit the sand that was in the road that the road crews put down. This made the bike come to a sudden stop, which also caused my right foot to press down abruptly on the rear brake. I think both of these things together gave the bike some serious momentum toward the right, enough to lift me off the ground from my leaned-over-to-the-left position and hurtle me over the side of the bike, and for the bike to come down on its right side. Does that make more sense? I was probably doing somewhere between 10-MPH, but that's just a guess.

Again, thank you all for the advice and tips :) I'm excited to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I need to buy a jacket, but it's blisteringly hot here in central CA where I live, so I have been trying to do research to see if I can find some decent hot-weather protection. I did buy some Alpine Stars elbow guards (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/488/ITEM/Alpinestars-Reflex-Elbow-Guards.aspx), but didnt have them on at the time :( Oh, and I realized that I said my right *head*light when I actually meant right *turn signal*. Man, I really beefed that post, just like I beefed that u-turn

1 - 20 of 39 Posts