Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this today after the qualifying....

Valentino Rossi could ditch Ducati’s radically revamped new GP11.1 following tomorrow’s German MotoGP race after the Italian finished in an embarrassing 16th place in qualifying earlier today.

The stunned 32-year-old revealed he would revert back to the GP11 as soon as possible, though he wasn’t sure whether he could dump the GP11.1 for next weekend’s US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.

Preparations for Rossi’s 250th Grand Prix appearance could not have been any worse as he clocked a best time of 1.23.248 to finish over 1.6s behind Casey Stoner, who stormed to his sixth pole position in nine races.

Only Sylvain Guintoli, standing in for the injured Loris Capirossi at Pramac Ducati, was slower than the nine times world champion.

The decision to roll out the GP11.1 in Assen last month has already spectacularly backfired and Rossi could be back on the old GP11 in California next weekend.
Meetings to be staged immediately after tomorrow’s 30-lap Sachsenring race will decide which bike Rossi will ride at Laguna Seca.

The GP11.1 was unveiled in Assen and was heavily based on the GP12 bike Ducati was developing for next year’s 1000cc class.
Rossi was impressed by the improved handling, so Ducati rushed out the GP11.1, which is effectively the chassis, swingarm and rear suspension system off next year’s Desmosedici using this year’s 800cc motor.

The gamble clearly hasn’t worked and Rossi is ready to scrap the GP11.1 after just three races and he said: “We are thinking to use the old bike. We will speak tomorrow after the race but for sure I will make a comparison test between the two on the Monday in Brno.
"I don’t know if we can use it before. I don’t know if it is possible to have the old bike in Laguna Seca. We haven’t decided yet.”

Explaining why he felt it was right to ditch the GP11.1 project so soon, Rossi added: “Unfortunately this bike is very difficult to ride with an 800cc engine. It was better with the 1000 and I did some good lap times in Mugello and Jerez and it was for this reason that we tried to modify. With the 800 I can’t load the front and I am very slow.

"It was not so bad with the 1000cc engine but with the 800 it doesn’t work well. We hope that with a better rear that the front would get better also. But that doesn’t happen. One problem is with this engine we are not able to put the same load on the front than with the 1000cc engine.

"The problem is we don’t understand why and we don’t expect. Secondly I think with the 1000 we had less problems because you have to use the bike in another way.

"With the 1000cc engine you make different lines and it was not so bad, but with the 800 you need better corner speed and you have more problems. For sure we expected to be faster and more competitive but it is not like this. We still don’t understand everything.”

:eek: :eek:

Reactions: Devilspawn

·
Registered
653 Posts
ill take it...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
653 Posts
Pffft, you'll have to get my cold, dead, lifeless corpse off it first!!! :Laughing rolling:
shouldnt be to hard seeing as most people that have those same qualifications seem to be attracted to caskets more than bikes lol.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shouldnt be to hard seeing as most people that have those same qualifications seem to be attracted to caskets more than bikes lol.....
LOLz :p

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I had a sneaking suspicion this might have happened.

I wonder how the top guys at Ducati are feeling right now after putting in the money putting out the GP11.1

At the same time though, the GP11.1 was introduced because Rossi couldn't stand the handling of the GP11. So, he's switching from one fail to another? x_x

Poor Rossi .. Poor Ducati.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
worse decision Ducati ever made was let Stoner go.

Good.

Show em how it's done, Stoner. You show em.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Stoner made that bike in 2009, and 2010 a contender because he had to over ride the bike and then some for it to be competitive. I just watched some post race interview with Stoner from 2010 and the front folding, losing the front etc... same shit. That bike has a fundamental design flaw. Even Rossi cannot cure it. Rossi, knows how to develop a bike, he's not stupid. Ducati is simple NOT his style and their design methodology is simply incompatible with his riding style. The other day I said, is it too early to say Rossi going to Ducati a bad move? Hmmm.....Again I'm not writing Rossi off, just their bike. It's gob shite.

BUT....explain Hayden's proximity to the front after QP? That can only be his longer tenure on the bike, and how he has changed the way he rides a bike to be able to make that bike a mid pack runner. Rossi hasn't accumulated as much seat time in it as Hayden has to be able to adapt his riding style to what this bike needs. Stoner just simply was able to adapt his riding style quicker it seems to it.

I remember back in 08 when Melandri was on the Ducati, yet Stoner was still winning races and Melandri was in the back. It was conjectured after test riders rode both bikes that it simply comes down to the issues the bike has, and the rider either riding around it or not letting it rattle you and get you down. Only Stoner has been able to do that. I think he made the wise decision to leave because he was basically having to throw caution to the wind to be competitive. That's ultra risky. Ducati, save for 2007 when they got the forumla right, has been back pedaling ever since.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stoner made the Ducati work because it suited his riding style. Rossi & co need to make serious changes to make it a rideable machine. Nicky can manage cos he's had longer to get used to it. Give Rossi/Burgess a year and they'll be untouchable. (I hope!!!)

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,114 Posts
Rossi should probably use the GP07

·
Registered
995 Posts
For the shitty year he is having he is still 4th in the points. I dont think thats half bad. Give him some time with Ducati to get the bike correct. I wil say this...i am so glad my helmet finally makes sense. I was getting tired of wearing a rossi lid on a ducati and getting made fun of for it. hahaha

joe

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
worse decision Ducati ever made was let Stoner go.

Good.

Show em how it's done, Stoner. You show em.
I don't agree. Stoner wasn't winning anymore championships. Hell, Rossi beat him last year, missing races, broken leg, bum shoulder and all. If he stayed, he'd probably still win some races, just enough to justify not needing to make any drastic changes to the bike because it can be claimed the bike can win.

Rossi and Ducati are sucking wind but maybe that's what Ducati needs to make a new bike that is better than what they've had in the past few years. What they have now is not good.

The way Rossi is riding, finishing 4-6 places ahead of where he's qualifying is an indicator the bike is not just not helping him do anything he's good at. If they scrap the pile they have now and come with something good, he will win races and potentially another championship.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
It looks like Burgess may retire. Rossi and Hayden may need to find a new mechanic fast. The Hondas and Yamahas are dominant this year, a lot different than 2007 when Stoner won it all on a Ducati, and Stoner has a good chance of winning again this year on a Honda.

It would be nice if Rossi got one or more world championships to be more of a GOAT (greatest of all time), and of course I would like to see Nicky Hayden from my home state do better:

http://resources.motogp.com/files/results/2011/GER/MotoGP/table5.pdf?v1_034c025a

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I don't agree. Stoner wasn't winning anymore championships. Hell, Rossi beat him last year, missing races, broken leg, bum shoulder and all. If he stayed, he'd probably still win some races, just enough to justify not needing to make any drastic changes to the bike because it can be claimed the bike can win.

Rossi and Ducati are sucking wind but maybe that's what Ducati needs to make a new bike that is better than what they've had in the past few years. What they have now is not good.

The way Rossi is riding, finishing 4-6 places ahead of where he's qualifying is an indicator the bike is not just not helping him do anything he's good at. If they scrap the pile they have now and come with something good, he will win races and potentially another championship.
don't look now but your rossi bromance is showing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts