Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this has ever been done? or if it would be a good idea for a bike to have one.....

Rotary engines produce more power at a more compact size and that seems like a big benefit if you were to apply that same technology to a motorcycle wouldnt you think? although Rotary engines do have some negative aspects as far as maintanence is concerned Im sure it would make for a unique rideing experience.....

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Suzuki made one a few years back called the RE-5, I think. They still come up for sale occassionally on eBay. Norton has a Wankel race bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and its silver too.....haha.....

I hope to see a sportier up to date version sometime...I think it has potential

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Biggest problem on a modern sportbike bike would be inertia. Our counterblanced inlines and symetrical Vs do a great job at being neutral.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wouldn't a rotary make the bike want to stay upright. Working like a gyroscope. Like on RC motorcycles. Im glad I wasnt the only one with this idea in my head. Single rotar turbo, can you say wheelies.

·
Registered
810 Posts
That would be one heck of a bike! My roommate and myself started to think about that idea when the new rx-8 came out, and how cool that would be to retro-fit a rotory engine onto a bike.
Sounds like an episode of monster garage in the making to me.
[:p]

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Norton race bike was quite successful but the powers that be couldn't agree as to the capacity so in the end the Bureaucrats killed it. A few road bikes were made and were reckoned to be quite good with, as you'd expect, quite sporty handling.

In addition to the RE-5, there was also a DKW at about the same time, late 70's, early 80s, as I recall. They all struggled with the rotor tips and eventually faded away.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by Kilrrex
Wouldn't a rotary make the bike want to stay upright. Working like a gyroscope.
It would, and that would be one of the problems. Last time I checked, you needed to lean a bike to get it to turn. The more intertia, the harder it is to get the bike to change directions. Depending on which way the engine spun, this would affect steering or braking and acceleration.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder how much gyroscope you would actually get out of it and Im sure a good technician can find a way to counteract it......

it would be great to see something like this on monster garage.....I wanna email em.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.