Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rounded this allen bolt head doing something stupid, using my power drill and allen wrench attachment when the allen wrench provided would have done just as fine. Any suggestions on removal? Thanks in advance.

G

·
get the next biggest allen attatchment and hammer it in there pretty good, then turn (manually)

a pair of needle nose vise grips may work too

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok what you need to do is go to a sears that sells craftsmen tools and thay sell a relly cool striped bolt and allen key kit. there like a very sharp, twisted and taperd torx bit thay basicaly dig there way into the metale and it will come out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good freaking luck man. Those things are a BITCH! Especially since its kinda in the fairing. Everything I would reccommend has already been reccomended. Just be carefull when you do it. If you mess up with a extractor its going to make it abotu 1000000 times worse.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
well i'll give you the half assed way to do it. Get a flat head srew driver a little longer than the hole and bang it in there. then turn to the left, thats how i do stuff. not sure if this will work because i font no if the fairing will move when you bang the screwdriver in but if you dont have any other tools you could give it a try.

·
Registered
277 Posts
be careful drilling that thing if thats your route.....heat!!! will melt that pretty green plastic around the screw head....Ive had luck in the past with trying a plain torxs bit...sometimes they will grab the edges. Good luck amigo

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by Wiggly
If you mess up with a extractor its going to make it abotu 1000000 times worse.
Use the largest extractor you can to avoid breaking it off in the bolt. Start with a really small drill bit, then move up to the recommended bit for the extractor. This will help you get the hole in the center of the bolt. An off centered hole will start the job off in the wrong direction.;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depending on how bad the bolt is stripped you can try using the next larger Allen and taping it in and slowly turning it out...if it is bad you'll need to use an extractor..the sears craftsman work really well..if it is just flat awful you will have to resort to drilling a tiny hole in it with a drill bit then work your way to a larger hole till the bolt head brakes ff and you and remove the fairing...then use vice grips to remove the bolt from the bike......good luck and patience is the KEY to any method of broken fastener removal!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fella's for all the input, good looking out on the link stylin97. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.