Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and I was doing my oil change and I got to changing the oil filter and when I tried taking the bolt off for the oil filter, it was damn near impossible to take off. I've done oil changes before, and this bolt always gives me a problem. This time, however, the bolt would just not budge and I ended up messing up the edges of the bolt. So now when I use my breaker bar with the 17mm socket, it still will not budge and keeps slipping. I tried using a 6 point spanner wrench, tried vice grips with light hammering and it just is not cooperating.

This bolt is pretty frustrating. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this thing out? I've seen some "bolt extractor" kits online, but do they actually work? I've read some reviews where some people have success with it, while others don't.

As a last ditch effort, is there anywhere I can take the bike where they can just take the damn thing off? I've already ordered a new oil filter bolt for the bike, so at this point I just want to get this thing off however it comes off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt? I would try using a grinder to square off the bolt and then use vice grips to remove it. I'm sure any bike or auto shop will be able to remove the bolt as it is a fairly common problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Use a better socket or wrench. Snapon has their flank drive and matco with their true spline that works great.

At this point use some large vice grips to get it off and make sure you don't crossthread the bolt going back in.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt? I would try using a grinder to square off the bolt and then use vice grips to remove it. I'm sure any bike or auto shop will be able to remove the bolt as it is a fairly common problem.
+1 Use a Dremel or a grinder to square off the sides of the bolt so you can get a wrench or Vice Grips to grab better and remove it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You gotta put some vicegrips on their veeeery tight. Shouldnt slip and you should be able to get it off. Find someone who is stupid strong and get them to do it. lol

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
I was able to free up my rounded off drain plug on my XR250 buy using a chisel and slightly tapping it on a corner of the bolt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+1 to dremel-ing, bolt extraction sockets work GREAT, BUT you will have a bit of trouble locating one that is large enough. craftsman makes a great set for smaller bolts, not sure if they make one that big. OR if you get very very desperate, you might be able to weld (not sure if its a good idea to weld with oil still in it though) a flat piece of metal to it that might give you better leverage. just look for a bolt extraction socket that fits 17mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts