Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the only thing special about it is the price and the cool purple dye they put in it. Pretty sure oil won't affect any valve tapping noise. I have used Valvoline oils (mostly their racing oils) and have never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
yo

i asked this question a few months go...

most of the reponse was that you shouldn't use it....but no one could back up why you shouldn't with facts...

a few racers said they use it and love it...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah I took her (636) to the dealer for lunch,
and they said because she's in the break in period she just
needs to get used to the way I ride, and the funny thing is
the noises never happen when you take it in to show them,
I was like laughing, but they say she's fine, if it continues
after 1,500 miles to bring her in for a inspection, they also said
that if you go Synthetic you have to stay Synthetic!

I learned something new today :D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not true. You can change from synthetic to non-synthetic, no problem. The Royal Purple oil is probably good stuff. It is just that most motorcycle specific synthetic oils are wildly overpriced. You can get Mobil 1 15w50 for less than $4 per quart which is still a lot more than a good non-synthetic. Synthetic oils are marginally better than non-synthetic oils at more than twice the price. Your bike will last 100,000 miles with regular oil changes with non-synthetic oil. I will last 100,000 miles with regular oil changes with synthetic oil. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone used this oil yet?
I hear some of the other clubs are using it,
I just hit 1,000 miles on my 03 636 and I am getting a little clicking sound from the valves, so I want to eliminate it and I think the Valvoline I used is crappy oil, so I want to go to a better oil.

Recomendations are very welcome please!:)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
DJ Auto, what they mean when they say "once you go sythetic you have to stay synthetic" is that if you want to achive the benefits of using synthetic, you have to keep doing it. It's not like, say Slick 50, where you add it once. And I'm not suggesting anyone should add slick 50 to their vehicles, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I saw on Horsepower TV on TNN they added Royal Purple Motor Oil, Trans Oil, and Gear Oil to a stock 2000 Camaro SS and it added 8 hp on the dyno bc it lowers the amount of the friction. I havnt heard anything about what it does for sport bikes, but from the previous posts it sounds like it can only do good...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about hp TV but reputable engine builders claim that synthetic oil will add 1-2% at the crank. On the ZX-6R engine that would be 1-3 hp. Probably even the Royal Purple will do this. The Mobil 1 will do the same thing for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Purple oil eh???

Just like adding dye to regular oil(activated by black light) you can easily track down oil leaks oozing from elusive spots.

That is what I see here....racers would love that.....seeing as how new fresh oil is alot harder to catch in the early stages.

Jason

·
Registered
316 Posts
dj auto- Just to let you know, I think you will find that most 636 owners, including myself will tell you that you will experience some slight "tapping" from the motor. Mine has 4500 miles on her, and she still does it once fully warm. Everything is fine. From what I have gathered from previous topics on this subject, it is a Kawi thing. Not sure. Anyhow, if you decide to take it in for an inspection, make sure they actually take it apart before they bill you for it. Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
56 Posts
on that episode of HP TV they showed the dyno runs before and after changing to Royal Purple so I trust the results they came up with but yeah the question still is whether its good for a bike or not, I've never looked but maybe they make motorcycle oil too.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They probably got the same hp increase you can expect when going from dino oil to any synthetic oil, typically about 1-2%. You are paying big bucks for purple dye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.