Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought my first bike - a 2011 Ninja 250r. I've got about 50 miles on it now and I am keeping it below 4000 RPM, as suggested. Problem is, that translates to about 30mph in 6th gear. Is that normal? It seems really impractical to stay under 30-35 mph for 500 miles.

Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
Homer, i got a 2011 on may 6th, 830 miles on it now. I stayed at the 4k mark for about 300 miles, then i couldnt take it anymore. I started going higher and higher on the RPMs and made sure to vary them. I did my first oil change at around 350 miles and I have had zero issues with the bike so far. It's been stated that kawasaki has put that same break in procedure on EVERY bike they've made since like 1982 or something. I (and others) doubt that the same break in procedure would fit every engine they put out... I'd say follow the procedure as long as you can bare, change your oil when you can't take it anymore, then just vary your RPMS... I've had it all the way to redline now, haven't noticed any problems.

· Registered
277 Posts
I kept mine below 7 grand and varied the speed with roll ons for the first 50 miles. After that I limited it to 9 grand till 250 miles and then changed oil and filter and rode it the way I normally do.

· Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the responses, that's helpful. Just to make sure -- is it normal for 4k RPM to be at around 30mph? Does that change at all as the bike gets worn in or does it stay that way? Thanks!
4,000 RPM should be 32.5 MPH. And it won't change, until your clutch is on the way out, then it will rev higher and go slower as it slips... Want it to rev lower, consider changing your gearing with a different sprocket (front, rear, or both.)

I'd take it easy for the first 100 miles or so. Just to scrub the tires and get used to the bike. After that, take it easy for the next couple of hundred. Rev it up, you're not going to hurt it unless it's just built wrong. Maybe don't sit there and spin it for 20 minutes at 12,000 RPM, but at least keep up with traffic.

This is more or less what I did with my 2008 250, and had no problems in the 10,000 miles I rode it.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
4K is too low a break in speed for this bike.

Search on break in, but in general the 250 will be OK up to about 6K for the 1st hundred miles, then progressively increase the load and the revs - about 1,000 - 1,500 rpm every 100 miles. Work at giving it short bursts or full throttle/red line by about 500 - 600 miles.

Ignore posts saying 'ride it hard from new'.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.