Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the RR rear shock from an 05'/06' fit into the linkage of an 05' R (636)?
Or will I need the RR shock and linkage to get it on my bike?
I thought I read that it required it's own RR linkage but need to make sure before I drop the coin on an RR shock.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
yes you need the RR linkage, regular R linkage won't work with the RR shock

here's info
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=115172&highlight=linkage+shock
Not totally true....

The linkage does not have to be changed and you do get a better shock but you don't get the full benefit of the RR setup without changing the linkage.

The shocks are the same length wise. The linkages and the spacer are where the differences are.

Here is the thread from when I did the swap on my bike. Best bang for the buck upgrade you can do for the suspension besides having it dialed in by a pro.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=97220&highlight=zx6rr+shock

·
Powerhungry
38,162 Posts
Not totally true....

The linkage does not have to be changed and you do get a better shock but you don't get the full benefit of the RR setup without changing the linkage.

The shocks are the same length wise. The linkages and the spacer are where the differences are.

Here is the thread from when I did the swap on my bike. Best bang for the buck upgrade you can do for the suspension besides having it dialed in by a pro.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=97220&highlight=zx6rr+shock
thats what i thought. it would fit. but worked better with the RR linkage.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
thats what i thought. it would fit. but worked better with the RR linkage.
Yup. The RR linkage changes the geometry slightly. It makes the bike feel more planted in corners and allows you to get on the throttle sooner when exiting a corner without upsetting the bike.

You can keep the stock shock and get the benefits of the RR setup just by changing the linkages and the shock spacer. You have to make sure you get all the RR parts tho, dogbones, rocker and spacer.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Anyone paid for the linkage? know what it costs?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
You can find them on ebay once in a while. Little harder to come by than the standard ZX6R stuff but they are out there. I lucked out and got mine as a package deal, shock, linkages, spacer and all attached to a swingarm. Too bad the swinger was damaged. I should probably have it checked out, might still be useable...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Anyone paid for the linkage? know what it costs?
Do a search cause someone posted some great info about this. The user name was something like zzrussioan. [I know thats not it but, I am pretty sure it something like that] It was you could get the dog bones from a 04-05 zx10 and the piviot thing [dont know what its called] off the 07 zx6r and you will have the same thing as an rr set up for pretty dang cheap.

Now one question, would you see a benefit of switching the linkage if you have an ohlins shock??

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Do a search cause someone posted some great info about this. The user name was something like zzrussioan. [I know thats not it but, I am pretty sure it something like that] It was you could get the dog bones from a 04-05 zx10 and the piviot thing [dont know what its called] off the 07 zx6r and you will have the same thing as an rr set up for pretty dang cheap.

Now one question, would you see a benefit of switching the linkage if you have an ohlins shock??
Don't know about the mix of parts you posted here. Be nice if that was the case. Someone should do some microfiche parts research to see if they are the same.

Yes, you would see a benefit even with the Ohlins shock. Like I posted before, the different linkages will change the geometry of the bike some so it doesn't matter what shock you have, you will see a benefit by changing just the linkages and spacer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll just need to find the RR bones (part# 39111-0008)and the spacer ZaRussian noted - Spacer part# 92026-0079
I Don't see that spacer in the microfiche anywhere on the 6R or 6RR but it's apparently at the top of the shock and forces the shock further out from the frame for a more linear path.
I'll ask the dealer when it gets here to confirm what I need to get this setup and dialed in.
Cheers!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll just need to find the RR bones (part# 39111-0008)and the spacer ZaRussian noted - Spacer part# 92026-0079
I Don't see that spacer in the microfiche anywhere on the 6R or 6RR but it's apparently at the top of the shock and forces the shock further out from the frame for a more linear path.
I'll ask the dealer when it gets here to confirm what I need to get this setup and dialed in.
Cheers!
I think it's in the fiche for the frame(front fittings)

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Cheers!
Please tell me you're only getting the spacer from the dealer? The dog bones are the same as 04-05 zx10....get them on ebay and save your cash.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger that!

Excellent, yep the spacer is shown in the front frame fittings part of the microfiche.
And yes, thanks ZaRussian... I'll be surfing for some 04/05 ZX-10 bones or 6rr bones on eBay and here. I won't be getting them from the stealership! LOL.
Thanks again guys, I'm actually looking forward to winter to get this upgrade done in the down months!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
well not a fan of the extra holes personally (allows more flex)...

I to just installed the shock linkage and the bodbones, BUT NO SPACER.
if someone can measure the spacer i will just add some height to the shock (ala ride height adjuster).
not sure how this will effect overall rake though, somthing that could play a part.

Still no ride report YET.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
well not a fan of the extra holes personally (allows more flex)...

I to just installed the shock linkage and the bodbones, BUT NO SPACER.
if someone can measure the spacer i will just add some height to the shock (ala ride height adjuster).
not sure how this will effect overall rake though, somthing that could play a part.

Still no ride report YET.

Spacer is 11mm.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
HOLY SHIT! 11mm thta is going to put some serious rear ride heaight on the bike..
i thought 10mm on the RC51 was A Lot.

Will check my rake as it sits now and tinker with some setting come the new year...since she is going to be boxed up in the morning...damn it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts