Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever told you that 6pots are crap are talking out of there arse.
The reason why your brakes aren't working properly is because the pistons in the calipers have seized with the winter salt.
It gets behind the dust seals in their grooves (and occasionally the fluid seals), crytalises and forces the seals to pinch the pistons (which makes them seize).

You can split the calipers, strip and carefully remove the seals,scrape out the salt, regrease with rubber grease (not normal grease as it makes the seals swell) and then reassemble them. I did mine last week and it made a massive difference.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have got a 99 zx6r g2 and the front brakes are terrible. i have bled them countless times, i cant find any air in them but there is too much play in the lever. they work eventually but dont feel right. i have been told to get a set of 4 pots off a gsxr6 cos everyone who has got 6 pots say they are crap. can anyone help???

·
Registered
2 Posts
done that, weeks ago the pistons are not siezed they are all moving freely. the brakes work but, the lever should not go back to the bar on setting 1. there is no air in the system. they have been like this since i got the bike last september

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 96 ninja and the brakes are totally sh*t, the lever comes back to the bar on settings 2,3,and4. i tried braded hoses stripping the master cylinder and calipers aswell as replacing them all with new seals that cost me about 55 quid! in the end i've had to grin and bare it,i'm tryin to find out what other calipers bolt straight on. people say 6pots lack feels so thats why no race bike ever uses 6 pots,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well i'm running a 99 G2 & the brakes are absolutely stonking!! They are even sharper & more effective than my brothers 2002 R1.

Mind you I have changed the pads to EBE HH sintered & fitted braided lines. IMO they are a must upgrade for any kwack with poor brakes.

Recently fitted new discs after the previous ones were warped - got EBC pro lite discs along with the HH pads & wow, shit hot...

OH and by the way, i'm still running the original 6 pots :)

Si

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the levers coming back to the bar and the calipers have been cleaned and all of the pistons can be moved with thumb pressure, then there is still air in the system.

Try this, Get a large 50ml syringe without the needle (£1.25 from the Boots pharmacy), A length of tube which fits over the nozzle of the syringe and a good fit over the bleed nipple on the caliper.
Crack the nipple open a bit and back bleed through the nipple to the reservoir (expel the air out of the syringe and pipe first to avoid introducing a new airlock), you will know when its good as you will see no more bubbles leave the system in the reservoir ans the brake fluid will change colour.
If this doesn't do the trick, remove the pads and push the pistons in the calipers home to drive the air out of them and then back bleed the system through the bleed nipple again.
If you still aren't happy with the feel, swap over to braided or Kevlar Hoses as the OEM Kawasaki rubber brake hoses go west after 3 years.

I'm using Carbone Loraine SBK3 pads in my G1 and they have plenty of feel but OEM or EBC/Bendix HH sintered are just as good.
Check for pad contamination as well BTW.

Change your fluid once a year, especially if you start to do track days as the boiling point lowers with age and you'll find yourself without brakes later in the day with old fluid.

If your looking for a UK based Ninja owners forum www.mcnninjas.co.uk is the best bet if you want UK Breaker lists, UK parts suppliers etc (I'm a mod there as well:D)

Ash

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by dirty barry

I have a 96 ninja and the brakes are totally sh*t, the lever comes back to the bar on settings 2,3,and4. i tried braded hoses stripping the master cylinder and calipers aswell as replacing them all with new seals that cost me about 55 quid! in the end i've had to grin and bare it,i'm tryin to find out what other calipers bolt straight on. people say 6pots lack feels so thats why no race bike ever uses 6 pots,

The 96 ZX6R has 4 pots and the new (B1s) have gone back to the 4 pots on the radial brakes to save unsprung weight because of the USD forks.
I would challenge anyone to try mine and say that they have no feel.

The 6 pot Tokicos are also used on the GSXRs, They lose their effectiveness like any other brakes through contamination or poor maintanence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.