Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
yes you can. i do it. your computer will automatically adjust to it. BUT be careful when you put 91 back into it do not get on it for a while so your computer can adjust back to the lower octain.
i forgot whether it retards it or advances the timing with 100 but once you put 91 back into it it needs time to adjust so it dont knock

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of gains would I see?

I know when I put it in my car. Its like driving a different car...but thats a car.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

I know when I put it in my car. Its like driving a different car...but thats a car.
Your actually going to lose power by putting in a higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the harder it will be to ignite. 91+ would be of benefit if you had higher compression, cams and all that jazz. They do make race fuels that will boost your HP, but at a cost(gums up your sh^t; your system has to be cleaned after each use).

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Your actually going to lose power by putting in a higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the harder it will be to ignite. 91+ would be of benefit if you had higher compression, cams and all that jazz. They do make race fuels that will boost your HP, but at a cost(gums up your sh^t; your system has to be cleaned after each use).
Higher Compression? turbo cars run super low compression and boost so much harder with higher octain...

i like 100 octain cuz it smells good ;)

dyno charts show it raises ur HP. and if you think its not going to run a hotter spark plug, or cooler,whatever makes it ignite easier

·
Registered
537 Posts
Higher octane is stabler than lower octane which means its harder to burn. When you run a higher compression than stock you need to start looking into it not needed on a stock motor. The only way to get more power with gas on a stock motor is with oxygenated gas and even then its something that might help a little but not much unless your racing and need every tenth of a second. And steedsta turbo/supercharged motors run lower compression because forcing air into the engine is the equivalent of running higher compression plus with the add heat from the charger so that you need the higher octane so it doesn't burn before it is ignited. To make power you need to run the lowest octane you can with out having the detination. Other wise your the guy the parts counter guy loves because you buy stuff you don't need.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Higher Compression? turbo cars run super low compression and boost so much harder with higher octain...

i like 100 octain cuz it smells good ;)

dyno charts show it raises ur HP. WRONG and if you think its not going to run a hotter spark plug, or cooler,whatever makes it ignite easier
The reason they run higher octane is to prevent detonation. Look it up. You will lose HP adding more octane to a stock bike(no engine mods).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Higher octane is stabler than lower octane which means its harder to burn. When you run a higher compression than stock you need to start looking into it not needed on a stock motor. The only way to get more power with gas on a stock motor is with oxygenated gas and even then its something that might help a little but not much unless your racing and need every tenth of a second. And steedsta turbo/supercharged motors run lower compression because forcing air into the engine is the equivalent of running higher compression plus with the add heat from the charger so that you need the higher octane so it doesn't burn before it is ignited. To make power you need to run the lowest octane you can with out having the detination. Other wise your the guy the parts counter guy loves because you buy stuff you don't need.
:plusone:

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason they run higher octane is to prevent detonation. Look it up. You will lose HP adding more octane to a stock bike(no engine mods).
:werd:

Very true on my Supercharged Camaro. I am actually running a stock bottom end. Beacuse I spray. But if I was to lower the compression to allow for more boost an even higher octane fuel is needed to prevent detonation...or even blow by, well that would fry the rings, and melt pistons...been there.

As for the bike with stock motor. Ive NEVER run anything but 93 octane. ever.

Some friends I know local have ran 100 octane and even 115. Which at first I though was dumb...but they reported back saying they felt a power increase. It could of been a "placebo effect" or the fact that they dont want to admit messing up their bike with 9.90 a gallon fuel. In other wording...paying to mess up the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the ZX6R have a knock sensor

I have two bikes one a 05 ZX6R and the other BMW R1200ST for touring with the missus. BMW recomend high octane fuel as it has a knock sensor that will alter ignition timing and will give you more power.

So the question is does the ZX6R have a knock sensor ? if it does then high octane will make a difference, if it doesnt then you should save your money and put regular fuel in.

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
yes you can. i do it. your computer will automatically adjust to it. BUT be careful when you put 91 back into it do not get on it for a while so your computer can adjust back to the lower octain.
i forgot whether it retards it or advances the timing with 100 but once you put 91 back into it it needs time to adjust so it dont knock
the bike will not make ANY adjustments for fuel type.

none. well maybe a bit less power. but no improvements.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All of the race gas I've found at pumps recently has been labeled "Off Road Use Only" because it's got lead in it. Don't run leaded if you have a catalytic converter, it will turn it into a useless lump of metal.

On the plus side, race fuel doesn't have ethanol. :cheers-004:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 2007 CBR600RR has one the ZX6R doesnt

New Knock Sensor

The new CBR600RR’s engine has also been equipped with a knock sensor that maintains optimum spark advance during mid-to-high speed operation while constantly monitoring combustion performance for any signs of detonation. Should the knocking of detonation be detected, the system automatically retards the spark advance just enough to eliminate the problem. Specially programmed to distinguish the sound of detonation from other engine noises, this system can even correct for the use of low-octane fuel, instantly retarding timing until any signs of detonation or knock disappear, and then gradually advancing the timing again to a point just short of the knock zone to maintain optimal combustion characteristics at all engine speeds.

·
Powerhungry
38,380 Posts
New Knock Sensor

The new CBR600RR’s engine has also been equipped with a knock sensor that maintains optimum spark advance during mid-to-high speed operation while constantly monitoring combustion performance for any signs of detonation. Should the knocking of detonation be detected, the system automatically retards the spark advance just enough to eliminate the problem. Specially programmed to distinguish the sound of detonation from other engine noises, this system can even correct for the use of low-octane fuel, instantly retarding timing until any signs of detonation or knock disappear, and then gradually advancing the timing again to a point just short of the knock zone to maintain optimal combustion characteristics at all engine speeds.
yep. and even in the instance the zx6 WERE to have one. it PULLS timing with LOWER octane. but its not going to advance it up, to compensate. so still NO gain..not even on the 600RR

really man..SEARCH. this has been discussed countless times.

but apparently theres still a few "regulars" that dont get it. thats the only reason im not nuking this one.....yet

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you have a cat it will plug it. If you don't have a cat you can run higher octane leaded fuels, but unless you retune to take advantage it will just hurt performance.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Nevada is correct...motorcycle fuel injections are not "smart" systems like those on many cars. It mainly just reads a fixed 3D map and that's it. I don't believe motorcylce FI's even have an air flow sensor, although I may be mistaken...

·
Registered
474 Posts
i run 95 in europe with my cali bike, but octane might be rated differently here

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
:plusone: for our bikes with just basic stuff, the closest you can get to 91 octane is what its made for, the oxynegated stuff like U4 & VP stuff is a diff story & its expensive as hell, you can put it in there if you want but its not going to burn it all off like it would w/a 91-93 octane fuel

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
New Knock Sensor

i knew they would eventually put one in the bikes but like nevada said it will not advance timing to compensate, bout time though, will get rid of the spark knock that you get from putting too low of octane in,

& yes i forgot about the cat in the 05/06 race fuels like VP & u4 etc.. will turn that thing to shit in no time ;)

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont have a cat anymore. Eh, whatever I dont want to mess up the bike..

93 is good enough for me then

1 - 20 of 40 Posts