Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Running 100+ Octane?

6K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  steedsta 
#1 ·
Could I do it??

#2 ·
yes you can. i do it. your computer will automatically adjust to it. BUT be careful when you put 91 back into it do not get on it for a while so your computer can adjust back to the lower octain.
i forgot whether it retards it or advances the timing with 100 but once you put 91 back into it it needs time to adjust so it dont knock

#11 ·
the bike will not make ANY adjustments for fuel type.

What kind of gains would I see?

I know when I put it in my car. Its like driving a different car...but thats a car.
none. well maybe a bit less power. but no improvements.

#4 ·
Your actually going to lose power by putting in a higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the harder it will be to ignite. 91+ would be of benefit if you had higher compression, cams and all that jazz. They do make race fuels that will boost your HP, but at a cost(gums up your sh^t; your system has to be cleaned after each use).

#6 ·
Higher octane is stabler than lower octane which means its harder to burn. When you run a higher compression than stock you need to start looking into it not needed on a stock motor. The only way to get more power with gas on a stock motor is with oxygenated gas and even then its something that might help a little but not much unless your racing and need every tenth of a second. And steedsta turbo/supercharged motors run lower compression because forcing air into the engine is the equivalent of running higher compression plus with the add heat from the charger so that you need the higher octane so it doesn't burn before it is ignited. To make power you need to run the lowest octane you can with out having the detination. Other wise your the guy the parts counter guy loves because you buy stuff you don't need.

#10 ·
Does the ZX6R have a knock sensor

I have two bikes one a 05 ZX6R and the other BMW R1200ST for touring with the missus. BMW recomend high octane fuel as it has a knock sensor that will alter ignition timing and will give you more power.

So the question is does the ZX6R have a knock sensor ? if it does then high octane will make a difference, if it doesnt then you should save your money and put regular fuel in.

#12 ·
All of the race gas I've found at pumps recently has been labeled "Off Road Use Only" because it's got lead in it. Don't run leaded if you have a catalytic converter, it will turn it into a useless lump of metal.

On the plus side, race fuel doesn't have ethanol. :cheers-004:

#13 ·
The 2007 CBR600RR has one the ZX6R doesnt

New Knock Sensor

The new CBR600RR’s engine has also been equipped with a knock sensor that maintains optimum spark advance during mid-to-high speed operation while constantly monitoring combustion performance for any signs of detonation. Should the knocking of detonation be detected, the system automatically retards the spark advance just enough to eliminate the problem. Specially programmed to distinguish the sound of detonation from other engine noises, this system can even correct for the use of low-octane fuel, instantly retarding timing until any signs of detonation or knock disappear, and then gradually advancing the timing again to a point just short of the knock zone to maintain optimal combustion characteristics at all engine speeds.

#14 ·
New Knock Sensor

The new CBR600RR’s engine has also been equipped with a knock sensor that maintains optimum spark advance during mid-to-high speed operation while constantly monitoring combustion performance for any signs of detonation. Should the knocking of detonation be detected, the system automatically retards the spark advance just enough to eliminate the problem. Specially programmed to distinguish the sound of detonation from other engine noises, this system can even correct for the use of low-octane fuel, instantly retarding timing until any signs of detonation or knock disappear, and then gradually advancing the timing again to a point just short of the knock zone to maintain optimal combustion characteristics at all engine speeds.
yep. and even in the instance the zx6 WERE to have one. it PULLS timing with LOWER octane. but its not going to advance it up, to compensate. so still NO gain..not even on the 600RR

really man..SEARCH. this has been discussed countless times.

but apparently theres still a few "regulars" that dont get it. thats the only reason im not nuking this one.....yet

#21 ·
you won't mess up the bike if you put it in there, its just not gonna run as good as if you put the regular premium fuel in it

#23 ·
the sticker calls for 91+, i usually go w/ a tank of 93 & then when i hit the light i put 89 in it LOL

#31 · (Edited)
I run mid-grade 89 in my bike every fill up. 91+ is a waste of money on these bikes and will get you poor gas mileage. I tried 91 for a while and lost 10+mpg per tank as compared to running 89.

Nevada, this what you are looking for?

General Specifications
Year & Model '05 ZX636-C1:NINJA ZX-6R
Engine
Engine Type 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, DOHC, Liquid cooled, 16-Valve Titanium (725)
Displacement 636 cc
Bore x Stroke 68.0 x 43.8 mm
Compression Ratio 12.9:1
Carburetor DFI w/Keihin 38mm Throttle Bodies
Ignition System Battery & Coil, TCBI w/Digital Advance
Cylinder Number Method Left to Right: 1-2-3-4
Firing Order 1-2-4-3
Fuel Min 91 Research/87 Avg. Oct. Unleaded OK
Coolant 50% distilled water /50% ethylene glycol base antifreeze.
— Capacity N/A
— Level N/A

So, reading the above and seeing this:

87 octane by US ratings is the minimum required for these bikes.

#33 · (Edited)
#34 ·
It is. I had to completely reselect the bike, starting with the Choose Vehicle tab and going from there. Its a .pdf document you have to download. Note that when you are selecting the CC rating, you have to choose 600 as there is no 636.

Try this link: http://kawasaki.com/SITE/VIVEHICLEI...ODELCODE=ZX636C1&MODELYEAR=2005&SHOWVEHTABS=1
hm. thats strange. it wasnt that way the first time. and i DID open the pdf earlier when i was looking for it again. just didnt zoom it in:eek:

b/c id remembered it listed ON the page.
oh well, now we know.;)

#39 ·
Engine now pinging badly

Listened and ran 87, the was engine was knocking loud at 15,800rpm. Drained fuel and ran 91 now still pings badly at 14,500+rpm.

Advavnced timing on ECU to compensate and lowered redline down from 16,500rpm to 14,000rpm and it still knocks. I swear 87 screwed my motor. 50,000+ miles on 91 with no problems now it's now singing like a bird it's more like a gagging dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.