Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for a few years now but hardly race. As some of you know, I have a 98 9R with about 9k miles on the tach as we speak. I went out for a cruise with my friends which all got newer honda 600 RRs. We got to a straigh and long road and one of my friends ( 03 600 rr with 5500 miles) and I went at it. At about 165 mph and 13k rpms - 4th gear, my bike started to bog down and loosing power. I had it at WOT. As I let go of the thottle a bit, the bike picked up again. I have a full Muzzy exhaust system with everything else stock (I think- I bought it like that).

For those of you that run, am I not supposed to WOT a bike? or will a K&N air filter fix this problem? Let me know what you guys think because I can't believe that a 600cc was able to walk on me at that speed because of that problem.

Thank you,

Maurice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by jimzx9r
Well duh, you need to shift to 5th homey.
Its not a shift thing - It felt different. I will go ahead and order a K&N air filter to see if it helps.

PS: Here is a picture of the bike - I took it a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You might want to research a little about the bike you own and figure out the rev limit. You were on the limiter, shift to the next gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
park it and start driving a cage. you've got no business on a bike.

at 13k your bike has hit the rev limiter. that red area at 12k? thats were you should've shifted. shifting would have helped. a rider on the bike who wouldn't have let a 600 keep up at that speed would have helped a lot more. theres no sense in ordering an K&N. the bike needs a competant rider.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am getting chewed on this one I see - to be honest, I can not recall exactly at what RPM it was but I know when that happened, I shifted to the next gear and it did the samething. I probably wrote the wrong information when it came to the RPMs.

So Malik says that I should park it and start driving a cage ... hahahaha good one :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
full muzzy with no jetting? you need an air filter and a jet kit. more than likely the pipe has effected your jetting. ignition advancer would help with throttle response as well.

i have no useful comment regarding your concrens of going wot or wfo on a bike.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Malik Ross
full muzzy with no jetting? you need an air filter and a jet kit. more than likely the pipe has effected your jetting. ignition advancer would help with throttle response as well.

i have no useful comment regarding your concrens of going wot or wfo on a bike.
I am new to learning the details about bike. I have had bikes in the past and have been riding for a few years now but bikes were not my passion. I was into cars so much that I got sick of it and bought this bike as a hobbie. Now I am entering the bike world and would like to learn as much of it as possible. So yeah, thank you for not posting ignorant comments. [8D]

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't want to be a dick, but I think you should take it easy on the top end runs until you spend more time learning the bike. Crazy shit happens when you blow up a motor at 160mph.

Edit, that motor is basically done at 12k, but the tach might be reading just a little higher. You might actually be bouncing off the limiter while the tach says 13k, when the motor is really only spinning at 12k.

And get a filter and jet kit on that bike asap, or it won't live very long with that full pipe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by Raunch
At about 165 mph and 13k rpms - 4th gear, my bike started to bog down and loosing power. I had it at WOT. As I let go of the thottle a bit, the bike picked up again.
that is a classic sign of a severe problem with the bikes state of tune...

i would stick with the stock air filter and just take the mesh out of it... flows just as well and easier to tune for. just make sure its clean... wash it in mineral turps then oil it (but not too much)... theres very little chance that the air filter is causing this trouble... unless you dont have one at all [:eek:)]

definately need a jet kit and tuning. might be other fuel supply issues too (fuel pump, ram air balance lines blocked?)

you should easily walk any 600 in the top end... better grab an advancer while your at it, +4 is good ;)

if all else fails, get it onto the dyno... see if its making the power it should (130-140hp+ at the wheel on a dynojet dyno).. cant have no honda 600 owner bragging about showing a 9R its tail lights ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
hahaha oh man,ncboost and ross yer crackin me up!:D:D hey what the hell does WOT and WFO mean? anyway yea raunch you dont sound like you belong on a bike and man,you got smoked by a lil ole 600 thats rediculous!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by modcrazy
hahaha oh man,ncboost and ross yer crackin me up!:D:D hey what the hell does WOT and WFO mean? anyway yea raunch you dont sound like you belong on a bike and man,you got smoked by a lil ole 600 thats rediculous!
WFO= wide fucking open
WOT= wide open throttle

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by NinetySix

that is a classic sign of a severe problem with the bikes state of tune...

i would stick with the stock air filter and just take the mesh out of it... flows just as well and easier to tune for. just make sure its clean... wash it in mineral turps then oil it (but not too much)... theres very little chance that the air filter is causing this trouble... unless you dont have one at all [:eek:)]

definately need a jet kit and tuning. might be other fuel supply issues too (fuel pump, ram air balance lines blocked?)

you should easily walk any 600 in the top end... better grab an advancer while your at it, +4 is good ;)

if all else fails, get it onto the dyno... see if its making the power it should (130-140hp+ at the wheel on a dynojet dyno).. cant have no honda 600 owner bragging about showing a 9R its tail lights ;)
Good advises - thank you bro.

·
Registered
377 Posts
"I have a 98 9R with about 9k miles on the tach as we speak."
That's what's wrong with your bike...you have the miles on the tach...they should be on the odo, LOL![:p]

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by OOBE
"I have a 98 9R with about 9k miles on the tach as we speak."
That's what's wrong with your bike...you have the miles on the tach...they should be on the odo, LOL![:p]
Oh ....ok ... [:X]

·
Registered
197 Posts
well i run with a 2 newr 9r's and we ran it on the strait and they were beat by my 05 636 and they had their bikes since new and they run hard they were very impress at the 636 so much they thought itn was a 10r but i pointed out the three little numbers on the side that says 636 sorry but those 9r's are very heavy and no match for a newer 600 on the strait or in the turns i burn em :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.