Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 zx6 in its running hot engine temp was about 230-240 while riding on the interstate at 70-80 mph, weather temps was about 60-70. The fan didn't kick on so I held the clutch in gave it a few revs and temp drop to 220- 230. Just need some help with this because I'm new to riding in not sure it that's a normal thing or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the engine temp light was on. I rode the bike this morning around 7am in now the High temp was blinking so I pulled over to let it cool off and this time I looj at the fan which it was running

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I check the reserve tank level which look like tap or distilled water and it is way below low the low mark as well. I just brought some 50/50 mix and was going to add it. The only thing is I'm not sure if the entire coolant system is just tap or distilled, so I was thinking about during a complete flush just to be on the safe side. Any idea how much that will cost or should I just add the 50/50 in do a test run to see if the bike get hot afterwards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added some 50/50 coolant. Now temps maintain at 195- 210 while riding, but once stop temp climbs to 220-230 again. In the coolent is brownish color, so I think its old and need a complete coolant flush.

·
Registered
230 Posts
how many miles on the bike? buy new or used? and if you continue to have heating issues I would check all of the coolant lines for a leak. make sure its all sealed and then add Engine ICE. I hear I keeps it down about another 10 degrees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how many miles on the bike? buy new or used? and if you continue to have heating issues I would check all of the coolant lines for a leak. make sure its all sealed and then add Engine ICE. I hear I keeps it down about another 10 degrees.
leaks + blockages also take the cover off the water pump and turn the engine over (just to make sure it spins) after that if its still misbehaving check the thermostat: to do that remove it from the bike take it inside while its still cold then stick it in some boiling water and you should see it open.

and if it STILL isn't working or you still haven't found the problem id disconnect the radiator and try to run some water through it, if its blocked dont worry too much hopefully if you shake it about a bit with some water in it whatever the blockage is should come loose and run freely.

could also be an airlock somewhere so make sure you bleed the system JIC y'kno easiest stuff first. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 on what nauro said. You can all check to see if the pumps working by grabbing on to one of the coolant lines (watch out they may be very hot if the bike is warmed up) and revving the engine. If they expand/pulsate, the pump is working. Doing a good flush a few times with distilled water and filling back up with a good 50/50 premix should do the trick if there are no blockages. Don't forget after you fill it back up with coolant to burp the system of any remaining air pockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all yall advice. The bike was used with 3k on it. I had the coolent flush, water pump and hoses inspected also intalled the correct radiator cap. Problem solved bikes running like a champ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts