Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been running great of late. No problems at all. I rode it home from work friday afternoon with no problems. I started it up saturday morning and it's running like a bag of $hit. It sounds as though it's running on three cylinders and has no power whatsoever.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I'd appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Run it for a couple minutes and then if you have a mist bottle (like something you'd use to spray on windex/window cleaner) or something similar, spray a little water on each header pipe, one by one. It should make a puff of steam on each. If one doesn't, then that cylinder is not running right (ie its not hot).

Could also be bad gas or water in the tank.
If you're comfortable taking the tank off, do so, and drain the carbs/float bowls, and drain the gas tank. Put in new gas and see if its better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Run it for a couple minutes and then if you have a mist bottle (like something you'd use to spray on windex/window cleaner) or something similar, spray a little water on each header pipe, one by one. It should make a puff of steam on each. If one doesn't, then that cylinder is not running right (ie its not hot)."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks CDN... that's some good advice. I'm going to do exactly that when I get home from work.

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

I decided to book my bike in to get looked at rather than pulling it apart myself. I have way too little time on my hands as it is so I'd rather pay an expert to check it over rather than spend more of my own free time.

So after leaving it sit in the garage for most of the week not game to ride it, I start it up and get my ride from the shop to work organised. I ride it down the street (about 2 minutes) and the bike comes good. Running sweet as can be. I couldnt believe it.

Glad I was actually getting some other things done to my bike so I didnt look like a complete tool rocking up to my mechanic saying "it was running bad but is all good now!"

One of those things I guess. [:)] Oh well at least it saved me a few bucks! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice! Cheers!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I've a friend who's 6R ran a little rough initially like it was on three cyclinders. Sometimes it needed a little warming up, that's all. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.