Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess in a place where you really can fry and egg on the sidewalk (no shit you really can), I shouldn't be too shocked that a bike would run hot. I did want to check with everyone, phoenix people especially, and see if my expierience is out of the norm.

I just got the bike on Friday and have been running around everywhere on it. Temp has been 110+ and when Im moving the bike runs over 200. When I stop however, it just keeps climbing. I got to 232 at a stop light before I took off and after I park it, I have had it creep up to 244. At this point when I get it home, I have about 3 fans blowing on it.

Is this the norm?

Squidly

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Yes, that's the norm. Any idle time with the engine running will cause the temp to go into the 200°'s.

Cruising your bike should be in the 155°-170° range on cooler days and 170°-185° on warmer days. Lower speeds or constant stops and the bike will get up to 200°+ range even on cool days, but not as fast as on hot days. And if it is 110° where you are, well that pretty dang hot. It's 85°-105° here in the summer (usually mid 90ies) and my bike ('02) will hit 200° easy.

The fans at home pointed on your bike is a little excessive, the bike itself has a built in fan which will come on when the engine is shut off if the temperature is too high. It only runs about 15-30 seconds and then it shuts off. After that it will take the bike an hour or so to cool down.

If the bikes temp gets high the display will switch from a numeral to "Hi" at around the 248° mark. If your bike gets that warm, then you need to shut it down to let it cool off.

If your bike is over 200° for too long, switch your route. Get on an open road so you can cruise in top gear for a decent distance to help bring the bike temp down.

Also, a search on this same topic will bring up several related threads.

-Flash

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I feel a bit better. I didnt want the new bike melting down just yet. Is the temp thing a sport bike thing, a kawi thing or a 2003 thing?

Squidly

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 96 and mine does the same thing in hot weather. Fan comes on, though, to save the day. My temp gauge doesn't have numbers either.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Completely normal .............. I live in 29 Palms in the Mojave Desert in Cali and the highest my bike has got to is 227. When it is cooler out (at night) it runs at about 175.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yes, I also had the same problem and posted a couple days ago in worry of overheating the bike. It seems like a common problem amongst liquid cooled sport bikes and the best advice is to ride on open roads at a high gear.

The difference between my bike (89' 600R) and yours that bothers me is that my temp gauge doesn't display the numerical temperature; just a range.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I was going to the Yankee game last night and when I was looking for parking the "HI" reading starte blinking. I hadn't noticed and I don't know how long it was on for. This is the first time this has happened since I bought the bike. Yesturday it was about 85 degrees farenheit.

"If your bike is over 200° for too long, switch your route. Get on an open road so you can cruise in top gear for a decent distance to help bring the bike temp down."

My bike had gone no warmer than 225. "what is too long?"
I know that while in trafic it can stay up there at the 200-220 range for a while. I usually sit in trafic (split lanes) for about 30min. each day. Is this hurting my baby?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The temp has been way down the last few days due to the monsoons. Riding the temp stays ~180-190. When I sit it is still death though. I was looking for my garage door opener in my jacket last night and like a shot it hit 227. These bikes were obviously not made for rush hour. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
i've seen my bike get some nasty numbers to i don't remember what #'s though...my advice is don't turn the bike off...i've done that a few times and i noticed every time the numbers rose into the 240's.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have had my bike reach 240 degrees one time on the fourth of july after fireworks. Everybody around here was in the same spot and all trying to leave at the same time. It was 10 times worse then any rush hour traffic I have ever seen. I started to rev the engine up to about 8 grand for a couple of seconds and the temp started to drop very quickly. Is that bad for the bike to do that to it? I only did it a couple of times because I was very low on gas at the time.

You should of seen the looks I was getting from people while I was doing it to.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im in Hawaii and it gets no hotter than 95 degrees down here but my 03 has been up to 224 degrees in stop-go traffic. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, the temperature reading on the bike is that of the coolant and not the engine itself. So with that in mind, the fact that it (the coolant) gets hot is a good indication that it IS "taking" heat away from the engine and doing its job, but due to lack of air flow, cant cool itself as quickly as when cruising in top gear.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I found out why my bike was getting so hot. The fan wansn't turning on due to a blown fuse. All is good now.
I so happy. :)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I NOT HAPPY:(

It wasn't the fuse. I don't know why it's not comming on. I rode to work today and when I got there I let it sit for a while and sure enough it hit 242 and the light came on. NO FAN! :(

What could it be and how do I troubleshoot?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.