Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you use a power commander, or do any sort of remapping when you put the new exhaust on?

You definitely need to do this, your changing the air flow on the bike, so that will always change how it runs.
You'll need to either buy a power commander to remap the fuel injectors, or have a shop do it for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im just about at my 400 mile
i added a micron carbon high mount about two weeks ago
since that my bike has been back fireing and running rich.
My friend driving two cars behind me in his car said all he could smell was a gas smell from my bike.
Is this maybe because my bike is breaking in a little more now?
Is my best bet to drive to the dealership and have them look at it or is there some little tweaks i can try and do myself.
Also the other day i was leaveing a parking spot and i got on the bike a little and it bogged down and seemed to loose power for a second.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No
i had the shop do it for me
i called them today and they said i would need to buy a power commander
or something similar wich was a little cheaper
i guess im gonna buy the power commander even though i have no clue what it is going to do for me
im kind of new in the street bike scene and i dont really know to much.

Thanks

Joe

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The power commander plugs into your bikes onboard computer.
The bikes computer controls when the fuel injectors spray fuel into the cylinders, and how much air is there too.
When you change the exhaust, it changes the ammount of air flowing through the engine, so the mixture that the computer is spraying in is now not balanced. In your case, it has too much fuel being sprayed in, so there is not enough air to burn it all up, and you get extra left over.

With the power commander, you load in a new set of instructions for the computer, so it now will spray the right ammount of fuel in for the ammount of airflow.

Thats the general idea, its a little more technical but thats basically what is going on.
On a bike with carbs instead of fuel injectors, you would have to take the engine apart partially to physically change the size of the needles inside. So while it does not seem like it now, fuel injectors are actually much easier to work on [8D]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.