Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new black 636 seem to be running rough. First new bike so I am not sure if this will go away with the break-in.
Idles low @ 1000rpm until warm.
Sounds rough when running.
power seems off.
Bike has 300miles. Will this get better after break-in????

·
Registered
479 Posts
Kind of hard to diagnose with never seeing the bike.
After it warms up it should idle at 1250 to 1350rpm. This Idle speed is important because it is at that engine speed (with no load) that the wet sump system in your new black beauty makes enough oil pressure to properly lube the entire engine. Idle speed will be low until your temp guage reads at least 140. After that if it is still below 1250rpm raise it by turning the Idle adjust knob (right side, just under the tank, aft of fairing) until it reaches proper rpm.
As for "Sounding" rough... keep in mind that the 636 is fuel injected so you will hear a considerable amount of "ticking" coming from the fuel injectors themselves. REMEMBER... you have a 600mi. service coming up, dont neglect it! Besides having the oil filter and oil replaced, this is a chance for you to cover your concerns with a certified Kawasaki technition while the bike is still under WARRANTY.
Other than that, follow the maintenance schedule in the manual and DO NOT... that is to say DO NOT... move to a synthetic oil untill you have at least a 1000 miles on the clock. Synthetic oil is damn good stuff for an engine but it will stop any break-in from occuring.
Hope this helps, I'm not a bike mechanic by any means but I have been an ASE certified tech at a GM dealership for 14 years and the best thing you can do is get all your questions and concearns addressed while your vehicle is still under warranty.

------

If your butt itches, your fingers probably stink!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sorry, the idle adjust knob is on your left side as you sit on the bike...

------

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought an 02 zx-6r and put a new yoshi Ti slipon and since it seems that it riding a little rougher. Im not sure if it is because the new "sound" because it definitely sounds alot "throatier" per se, or if im going to have to have the carbs rejetted or remapped. They said even though it is a slip on with it being a yoshi, i might still find I have to have it rejetted..Good luck to you. Also with all my friends that have kawa's, they say theirs are notorius for being cold natured because of it being carberated instead of fuel injected. Im not sure..im still new also..let me know if you find something else out..S :D

------

Circumstances Rule!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Wil do!!!
Originally posted by NemesisOne

Kind of hard to diagnose with never seeing the bike.
After it warms up it should idle at 1250 to 1350rpm. This Idle speed is important because it is at that engine speed (with no load) that the wet sump system in your new black beauty makes enough oil pressure to properly lube the entire engine. Idle speed will be low until your temp guage reads at least 140. After that if it is still below 1250rpm raise it by turning the Idle adjust knob (right side, just under the tank, aft of fairing) until it reaches proper rpm.
As for "Sounding" rough... keep in mind that the 636 is fuel injected so you will hear a considerable amount of "ticking" coming from the fuel injectors themselves. REMEMBER... you have a 600mi. service coming up, dont neglect it! Besides having the oil filter and oil replaced, this is a chance for you to cover your concerns with a certified Kawasaki technition while the bike is still under WARRANTY.
Other than that, follow the maintenance schedule in the manual and DO NOT... that is to say DO NOT... move to a synthetic oil untill you have at least a 1000 miles on the clock. Synthetic oil is damn good stuff for an engine but it will stop any break-in from occuring.
Hope this helps, I'm not a bike mechanic by any means but I have been an ASE certified tech at a GM dealership for 14 years and the best thing you can do is get all your questions and concearns addressed while your vehicle is still under warranty.

------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.