Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya alls,

I'm new to this forum and this IS my first post - and straight to the 'Whingers' section it is...

My 2002 ZX-636R which is only 6 months old, has only 12,000kms on it, which I hand wash once a week, has now a nice biege coloured film of rust on its exhaust headers.

Now I love my bike but fer chrissakes can't the big K provide some decent finishes on their machines? Rusty exhaust headers are one of my pet hates and every Kwaka I've ever owned has had headers that rusted like a nail in the sea.

I had my old ZXR headers electroplated to solve that problem, but I didn't expect to see a brand new machine, that's looked after to the word by the owner's manual, rust before my very eyes.

You don't see Honda's or Yammie's rust do ya?

To Be is To Do - Socrates.
To Do is To Be - Plato.
Do Be Do Be Do Do-F.Sinatra.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah, I have a 2003 636 and my headers also have soem rust on them too. But who cares, its not going to eat all the way though, and you cant see it because the ferrings cover them up. If it bothers you that much go get header spray. at cool you spay the headers with the black header spaypaint. Then you let it dry for like 6 hours, then you start it up and drive around for and hour or 2. Good as new.
Also My rotors jget rust on them sometimes overnight, but as soon as the brakepads slide over the rotors all the rust comes right off.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(CDN) - yes its rust, when I run my fingers along it, its shiny underneath.

(Tommyboy) - who cares? me. Coz I know from my experience with my ZXR that the rust you don't see doesn't just go away. Eventually (ok maybe years later) it does eat through, even if it doesn't it depreciates your bike if your gonna sell it, and the header spray paints provide even less protection than stainless steel.

Anyway what I'm sayin' is Stainless Steel doesn't rust. Not unless in the presence of chlorine. My mates Yammy has stainless headers, rides it everyday like me, and his is shiny new. What gives?

(hey I know I'm making a mountain outta a mole hill, but this IS the bitch page).

S.Monkey

To Do is To Be - Plato.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaaahhhhh.... there's an engineer in the house. yes I stand corrected. 316 is the good stuff, 304 the cheapo stuff.

My point? We got the cheapo stuff.

Ok I think I'm cured now. Time to move onto more productive Posts.

To Do is To Be - Plato.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I never knew that chlorine causes rust. The water down here in miami is heavily chlorinated (to the point where you can actually taste it) Maybe thats why my bike sees a lot of rust[:X]

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I have a 2003 ZX-6R, it has some slight rust on the headers. But who cares? I plan on getting a titainium header system anyways eventually, so a little rust isn't hurting me :p

Although for people who want to keep the system as it is, they have have clear coat heat tolerante sprays you could make an afternoon out of spraying on the headers and they will never see a inch of rust again.

Scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.