Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok flame on blah blah sport bikes shouldn't have saddle bags, but I need a better storage system than I currently have, which consists of using a crap load of bungee cords to strap a duffel bag to the rear seat. And I kept feeling it slipping forward and out of the bungees which made me have to pull over 3 times during a 2 hour trip.

This is what my bike will look like on a few trips, but he has underseat.

So I have seen the cortech sport saddlebags and I think they're the ones I will get, but will it rub on the exhaust? Anybody have pics of saddlebags on 03-04?

BTW I searched, but I couldn't find any definative answers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a set of nelson rigg sport saddle bags on my 12 which are ok. Not the best of construction (seams coming apart) and not huge enough compared to real saddle bags. But they don't look outlandish. Though I have never put them on my 636 I have tossed them over my z1000 which is a virtually identical tail piece. Depending on the size and style, you will probably run into clearance problems with the stock turn signals and potentially the muffler.

I use a 'Rice Rocket Rack' on my 636. The plate locks where the rear seat would be and I have a big tail bag strapped onto it. It holds it on real well and don't have to worry about it coming loose. And if you need to get under the seat for paperwork, maintenance, etc, it comes off just like the stock passenger seat does with the key.

Its a semi-ok unit. All it is is some anodized aluminum with some flimsy brackets bolted onto the back. Definitely not OEM quality or fitment. Works well enough though. I got mine for free but I don't think I would EVER pay 130 bucks for one.
So take that for what its worth.

You could probably buy a trashed passenger seat off ebay or something and tear it apart for the base and bolt a similar fixture up to the stock seat bottom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was my plan actually. I had planned on using some sheet aluminum which I have laying around. I have integrated taillights and I am thinking about making my yoshi a shorty so I could clear up some room there too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts