Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This idiot dealer thinks I'm a dumb bimbo idiot and told me that the EX250 would be $4100. What are some techniques I can use to get the deal that I want on the 2006 EX250? I emailed him asking about it and this is what he says back: "Karena,

I am currently out of stock on the Ninja 250. I will be able to get one in a few days the price with tax title and prep would be $4100. Let me know if you would like me to pursue one for you. We have a great facility with full service and accessories department stocked with womens apparel. Let me know.

Thanks,

Jeremy"

I laughed when I read his offer, and wasn't surprised at it either. I emailed back saying that 4100 is alot, considering the msrp is $2999, and I just had a dealer offer me a Honda Rebel for $3400 including tax and title the day before, and the Rebel's msrp is actually higher than the ninja's. When he emailed me back again, his response was BS.

"I understand but you have to realized you are getting a more technologically advanced motorcycle with liquid cooling. I am here everyday except Thursday so any time that’s convenient just give me a call and let me know you are on the way. I wouldn’t be able to have the bike here to look at without a deposit because I would have to purchase the bike first from another dealer. I do have a few in for service that you could probably sit on to get the feel of it. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jeremy"

I am meeting with him in a couple minutes, and am ready to give him my offer and my deadline, and be nonchalant about it. I want him to know that I'm not just a stupid girl who's dumb enough to believe everything that a salesman is going to bs to me, but what can I do specifically to help me get the price I want, if I talk to him later, after our first meeting?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Simple... Find another dealer. I got my 636 for $400 under MSRP, and they had to go through a dealer a few hundred miles away to get it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to another dealership... They said "the best I could do for you is $3750 because there is so much markup on the bike" what do you think

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think you should find a price you are willing to pay...see if they will come down a bit..the worst they can do is say no. You can play a little bit of a waiting game if you want...give them time to think about your offer...but in the end they can usually sell these bikes for what they want.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My gf's dad used to fax a sheet with the price he would pay for a new car to the dealer with his phone number. Every single time the dealer would call back and say ok. You need to be a hard*** with them.. Tell them what the bike is worth and what you will pay. I say no more then 3000 otd. They are probably only paying 2000 grand for 250's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
oh hey...also if this bike is for you and it's your first bike...I would say get a used one..you will pay less, can sell it for about what you paid for when and if (1) you want to upgrade (2) you decide riding is not for you. Don't know your situation but thought I'd throw that out there ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by KarenaLei
Talked to another dealership... They said "the best I could do for you is $3750 because there is so much markup on the bike" what do you think
that is a flat out lie. go the the ninja 250 forum. The OTD should be at most just over 3k. You should buy used. I got an 03 ninja 250 for 1600 with 1100 miles on it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am scared to buy a used one, with all the dishonest sellers out there, plus how would I finance? I have been declined by several lenders in the past year for different things.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by KarenaLei
I am scared to buy a used one, with all the dishonest sellers out there, plus how would I finance? I have been declined by several lenders in the past year for different things.
how were you going to buy the new 250?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by fclark
Tell them what the bike is worth and what you will pay. I say no more then 3000 otd. They are probably only paying 2000 grand for 250's.
Your advise to tell them what you are willing to pay is sound but you are completely off base in what you believe a dealer pays for the ninja 250.

The markup between the dealer invoice and the MSRP is the smallest on the Ninja 250 out of all the road legal bikes they produce.

Furthermore, the market for the Ninja 250 has shot up in demand this year due to increasing gas prices. I've sold motorcycles for several year and have NEVER had a higher demand for ANY motorcycle than that bike this year. Its crazy to say, but most dealers are no longer willing to transfer that unit out of their stock because of this demand.

Long and short of everything, if a new 250 is what you want, come up with whatever you are willing to spend. If the dealer cannot do that deal, then consider if their offer is worth it, or if you need to search elsewhere.

---

The fact that you are female really (at least shouldn't) have anything to do with your price. Males are actually easier customers to sell at a higher profit because they are very emotional in their purchase. Women tend to be more calculating and think that dealers are trying to rip them off because they are female. Their guard is higher.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by trashmonkey

how were you going to buy the new 250?
Most dealerships have their own finance plans. Most owners selling their own bike don't.
Is there any other way to finance a used bike rather than using a lender??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wouldn't I have the same problem, with them trying to tack on startup fees

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i would serisouly look at getting a used bike... for the financing just go to your personal bank and ask for a personal loan, the cant ask what you are using the money for since its personal... you can use it for pretty much anything you want, fixing up the house, paying off school loans... when i got my bike i got a loan from the dealer and then went to the bank and got a personal loan to pay off the other, lower apr and you have the title in hand so the insurance wont rape you, and the payments will be much lower, i pay 100 a month and my insurance is about 17/month...

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you want to know what dealer cost is, what freight costs, if there are any incentives or promotions to the dealer, etc, just go to www.cyclebuy.com and spend $15 to get a pricing report. Then you'll be starting with the same knowledge as the dealer. Dealers don't stay in business by moving bikes at cost, but at least you can start negotiating with a level playing field. They have the bike, you have the money. Find a mutually agreeable price or find another dealer and try again.

BTW, +1 on the buying a used bike first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies. I am not going to do business with the salesman but I have asked around about 7 different dealerships, each with different replies. The BEST I've gotten is "The best I can do for you is about 3500" and that was a very weary reply from the guy. Oh and one crazy dude who told me $3700 said he'd sell me a USED 2004 model with 400 miles on it at $3090 otd.. haha! some people on this forum have gotten a new 06 for that price.. maybe i'm just screwed living in the suburbs of chicago.

·
Registered
226 Posts
See if they will throw in some gear for the price they quoted you. Have youe checked the internet for pricing? You may have to travel a little to get what you want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.