Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you guys have mentioned that you don't ride anymore after they salt the roads. Is this because of the possibility of salt eating the paint on your bike :( or are there other reasons?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't ride because when there is salt on the roads that means it has been snowing. I don't want to have to find that hidden patch of ice that the salt didn't hit, or be out in weather that cold anyways. The bike goes up once the temps go below freezing.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Even if it's been below freezing and they've thrown salt on the roads (uuuugg) and we get a warm spell, my bike stays parked because there's always a nice film of slippery salt/dirt left until the spring rains (or street sweaper) washes them away... it's just safer to wait out winter.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I mainly dont ride after there is salt down because it means there is/was snow, and like bshap said, there is slippery junk everywhere.

The salt is not as much of a concern for damaging our bikes as it is on most cars.
Since the metal in the bike is mostly aluminum, not steel, it does not rust like a car (though it will cause pitting if left sitting on bare aluminum)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to work with a guy who did custom paint on bikes. He wouldn't ride until we had had the first really good rain in the spring. He said he wanted the salt off the roads b/c he was afraid it would damage his paint.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
In these parts it's possible to get early (freak) snow that goes away within a day, or the same in the spring, where you think winter's gone for good then you get a day or two. Usually, they won't put salt down for a very light snowfall, but once the salters are out for good, I won't be riding this year. Despite the fact you THINK you're getting a good cleaning to the bike afterwards, a little salty wet deposit in your rad or engine parts or forks and seals or rotors or whatever... I just don't feel good about putting my baby through that abuse.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
We aren't talking about battery acid here. A little salt on the bike isn't going to hurt the bike one bit. You just don't want to be retarded and not wash it for 4 months afterwards.

Fellas... all this talk about it hurting the metal. Are you afraid that your gas tank is going to get salt on it or something? The front fender is plastic. The hugger and undertail is plastic. The fairings are plastic. About the only things that are susceptible to salt is the radiator and possibly the swingarm, chain and sprockets. And, since I don't think we are talking about riding on wet salty roads, I don't see how the salt will be able to fling and stick onto any of those things.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What about underneath the motor? On the bottom of the bike? I remember I had salt down there and some got on my lower fairing bracket on my 02, and it was well below freezing for a while so I couldn't give it a good scrubbing. From then on it was dotted with white spots though. Could this have been from the salt?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i stop riding after the first snow fall for a couple of reasons becaseu they salt the roads...

Salt is bad for a couple of reason...

1) It slippery and you never want to hit a patch of it...
2) IT not that great for the paint on your bike. Things seem to rust faster too...
3) By this time is already pretty cold out so you really can't enjoy riding when your hand to frozen.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I actually like riding after labor day more then during the summer. The cold weather gets rid of all the posers and squids out there who only take their bike out once a week. And there's nobody else on the roads, so blasting through the falling leaves is a lot more fun and just a little less dangerous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.