Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you guys ever buy a salvaged bike and turned it into a track bike. ive been thinking about doing this and i am wondering if its worth it and also where can i find a sweet deal on one here in socal.
thanks

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Just did it recently. Give me a bit of time and i will update my thread and post some pics. I will say be prepared to spend some serious hours on it ( that was the worst thing IMO)

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Yeah I did the 05. Picked it up from another KF member but I was watching this board, Craigslist and WERA forums. I missed out on 2 good ones before I got this one. WERA is also a great place for aftermarket parts.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
its hit or miss.....remember front ends are not cheap. if a wheel has any curb rash on it I promise its got a wobble in it. looks for a straight wheels, forks and frame. The rest is relatively cheap or easier to acquire in decent condition used. front wheels can run $300 to $500....this year on ebay they have been especially expensive.

I've done OK at it once (investment versus sell price)....lost my ass the other time. Generally, building a bike for the track is not even a break even proposition.

Buying a track bike with the basic hard parts you want is generally a cheaper bet. Ones with a salvage title will go cheaper than those with clean papers....just don't buy one that looks like Curtis Roberts rode it...I mean crashed the f*$k out of it.

edit: in addition to Wera (excellent place to shop as mentioned) remember to check out nesba and supermotojunkie.com - I've watched killer deals come and go on SMJ...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got bought mine salvage the only thing missed up was the upper half of it was gone with the cluster and half the fairing stay. the bike still had the oem tire's 014's with maybe 2-3000 mile on them everything else was great condition with very little rash

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've done OK at it once (investment versus sell price)
I hope you considered buying my 02 the OK one.

Just remember when you buy the bike salvaged your getting a deal but in the same respect you are gonna have to sell it cheaper because of the salvaged title and there is a limited crowed to sell it to because mostly only racers will pay money for bikes with a salvaged title. I have seen some salvaged bikes that were like new and some clear titled bikes that should have been salvaged you just gotta have someone look it over if you feel unsure.

My current race bike has a clear title and that allows me to legally test ride it around to trouble shoot and work out bugs which is way better then wasting money at the track trouble shooting.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Hey spoon...I have to sell the 02 before I can say how I did...haha...but I am generally happy with it....no worries. Those carbs are still funky...it ran weird at Brainerd in the higher elevation...but still fast as stink.

If you turn wrenches yourself, have some basic tools and are willing to take time and learn to do new things you can do ok. Patience in shopping on ebay or where ever pays off to.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You are selling it??

Getting a fuel injected bike is nice. I had the 02 at my motor shop getting sunk and tuned when ever it got funky but the FI doesn't need the same maintanace which is nice.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the comments guys
for now i think im gonna keep my bike for steet/track until i can afford a new one then im gonna turn my current one into track only.

i would turn it to track only now but i only do about 4 track days a year which probably wont justify it. i would go every weekend if i could. but its damn expensive.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i was looking to do this but shit they are selling salvaged bikes for so much damn money anymore, i remember when you used to be able to get a salvage that may need forks & a wheel or something for like 1500-2k now they want like 3500-3k for them

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
did you see the guy selling the 05 here for $2500? its a track bike ready to go and has low miles.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
any of you guys ever buy a salvaged bike and turned it into a track bike. ive been thinking about doing this and i am wondering if its worth it and also where can i find a sweet deal on one here in socal.
thanks
You might want to check out iaai.com they deal with clean and salvage title motorcycles, cars, trucks etc... I've bought through them before, pretty good deals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts