Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really tired of hearing about fellow riders being injured/killed by the cagers driving around today, and I'm sure everyone here is too. Well, I'm tired of sitting around wondering when drivers will wise up, because I know if they aren't bombarded with the message, they will never care. What I really want to do is start a "Save a Motorcyclist Foundation" which will raise awareness of the dangers cars pose to motorcyclists, dispel common misconceptions about the kind of people who ride motorcycles(partially to blame for often charging the accident to the rider), educate the public on safely sharing the roads with motorcycles, and raise money to provide relief for inujured/killed riders and their families.

With the increased public exposure of motorcycling today via "Superbikes", broadcasts of moto racing, insurance commercials featuring motorcycles, motorcycle ads on tv, interest in stunting, movies like "Biker Boys?", motos on "Pinks", Roethlisberger, etc, this seems like a crucial time to educate the public on just how great it is to be a motorcyclist and what they can do to make the roads a safer place for us all. Perhaps this could be a partnership with the AMA, and commercials could be placed during NASCAR related programming on TV(to gain the most public exposure:D). It could be membership based with additional funding from sponsors. Members would recieve a bright colored mesh riding vest that has some message printed on the back like: "Check your mirrors. Watch for Motorcycles." It would show that not only do we expect drivers to do their part in preventing accidents, but we are willing to do our part too. Also, since motorcycling seems to be getting popular among celebrities(every celeb has one these days), we could get celebrity spokespeople(Roethlisberger, Cruise, Jordan, the Teutals, etc). The possibilities are endless!

I literally just came up with this off the top of my head, so I haven't really sorted through all the details, mainly: how would I get this started?? I haven't ever undertaken anything like this and I don't want to start something that is going to turn out half-assed. So does anyone know where I should start? Does it look like I'm on track with the foundation idea? Anybody got any ideas/suggestions/connections?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, i guess everyone is satisfied with saying RIP to Roy, but nobody wants to do anything to prevent something like this from happening again. I thought i would get a lot more feedback than this. Is there really no interest in something like this? I figure if you guys arent enthusiastic about this than no one will be.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, im disappointed, i guess theres no interest in trying to change the world in which we ride for the better. I personally thought it was a kick-ass idea, but i guess these ideas have come and gone without much support in the past as seen in gary's link(we can get this going in more states than New York, can't we?). Oh well, I guess ill look forward to more articles about totaled bikes, tickets, fallen friends, car hits rider and fled, etc, etc. We are quite the sensationalists, aren't we?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I think the idea is great but getting alot of riders to wear a vest saying things is gonna be the tuff side to it. I believe that states should be pushing for more safety awareness through commercials etc.. but I am also a fan of motorcycle companies implenting there own safety measures to ensure motorcyclists are seen. Suzuki started putting on the new gixxer's the mirrors with the blinkers and overaul from riding with fellow new owners these allow me to see them turning alot faster and easier, also the rear turn signals are intrigrated into the upper section of the tail and allow better visibility. I give Suzuki credit for doing this and overaul I would like to see all the companies go to mirror blinkers and hell why not throw blinkers on the side too, overkill? to some yes but to others more visiblity the better.

On top of these blinkers, Im a big fan of high beams on during the day time, I always ride with my high beams on to allow people to see me better, once again more visibility the better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i allways ride with the high-beams too. Nighttime, daytime, doesn't matter. I'd rather annoy people at night with the high beams so they can see me coming a mile away then go possibly unnoticed with the low beams.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I think you have a good idea, but it sounds like reinventing the wheel so to speak. To start an organization to raise awareness is a pretty large task. If you are wanting to start out national it would probably take a pretty substantial number of people willing to donate not just funding, but time as well. Even starting a local motorcycle awareness campaign would be a challenge for the average person without a fair amount of help/funding.

Meanwhile there are other established national organizations like AMA and SMSA. By donating time/money to established organizations you would not have to expend as high a degree of time/resources to see results.

If you are really serious though about starting a motorcycle awareness campaign, I would suggest starting out local. Find some like-minded local riders that would be willing to invest time and/or money into it, then start hitting up area businesses for donations.(asking for donations from businesses would likely require you to obtain non-profit status btw) Who knows if it takes off maybe it could grow into a national organization, that has a significant impact on motorcycling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.