Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love it very much. I named it "sbb". I thought that I could be with it for long time, but I am just not good enough to be a biker. It is not that I couldn't operate it, but the thing is I make stupid mistake from time to time which even myself can't believe that I made it.

I remember that I read one of the thread in this forum saying that whatever bad habits you have when you are driving a car, the problem will be enlarged when you are on a bike. I proved it that it is perfectly stated.

There will be a big chance that I could ended up like that girl, who lost a chunk of flesh from her foot, or worse.

I keep thinking that I could stop making stupid decision on one side, but what if I make it again...

To keep it not too long, I just want to say thanks to all of you, especially those who answered my questions. I am happy for you guys who are capable be a relative safe biker. For those of you who like to make silly mistake, especially girls, not a joke, people who is undecidable, I wish you luck from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Did you take a beginning riders course or have any training on the bike? If not, it can really help you prevent making a lot of mistakes new riders are prone to make and can improve your confidence level quite a bit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Did you take a beginning riders course or have any training on the bike? If not, it can really help you prevent making a lot of mistakes new riders are prone to make and can improve your confidence level quite a bit.
Thanks for your suggestion. I passed the course, but never did any other training.
I don't think anyone could help if I would decide to go straight and all of a sudden, I changed my mind and make turn... I still can't believe I did that. how could I be so stupid retard insane ridiculous @@$#**&#^. It is not like I am new driver or something. How could I do things like that... I lost my chance to prove that I could be a biker.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to hear the stories of the mistakes you have made to think you're not a "biker".
It could be you are being a little to hard on yourself.....or maybe you're right, not everyone belongs no a bike.
But without any examlpes we can't support or condem you either way.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Where are you located?

I actually felt the same way when I first started. I had no friggin clue what I was doing and thought I made a mistake. I completely sucked. I couldn't do anything right. Dropped the bike 3 times (at a stand still) in the first 5 days. When I tell you I sucked..... I was friggin terrible.

But when anyone asks me what can be done to be a better rider all I tell them is...... Just Ride. Ride at off times. Early in the morning and do it either alone so you aren't pressured into riding faster than your comfy with. Or ride with a very expeirenced rider.

Everyone that is learning with me I "Guard" them when on the street by watching out for stupid drivers and by making sure they see the person learning and by making that person aware of any obstacles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I know you want to put safety first, but if you really enjoy biking you might want to consider other alternatives that will help you develop good habits. You can find and empty lot and set up some cones and practice, take private lessons, or just have a skilled buddy or 2 follow and critique your riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is what happened...

I was riding on a main local street in NYC (to answer cajuntir question), at normal speed, heading straight and planned to turn 5 blocks later. As I was about 1/2 block approaching to the corner of the 3rd block, I changed my mind to turn into this corner... I didn't break much, didn't look, since I didn't expect the turn would be less than 90 degree. When I was turning, I then saw that I won't make the turn most likely. I was turning close to the curb of the outside of the turn. There was a suv parked about 2 cars from where I was heading to. I didn't know what would happen if I didn't hit the curb perpendicularly. Even thought I made the turn, I would probably hit that suv. So I straighten my bike, braked, jumped the curb, the bike wobbled, and my poor "sbb" fell with me. I jumped up and picked "sbb" right back up after fell, but it just... :(

:mad: I hate myself so much for doing this %&(**&^& stupid retard thing to my "sbb". I put scratches on the fairing and broke the turn signal, and I put bruises, scratches on myself. If there was car parked closer to the corner, if there was pedestrian on the curb, I can't imagine what would happen. I have been driving more than 10 years. This is not a mistake which should happen, no excuse:mad:.

Skill develops with sit time, but stupidity likes this is just ... I don't even know what to say. I was thinking like cajuntir before: i will get better if I practice more. But everyone that knows me keep saying that I am just not a biker, too risky for me. Now I learn it the hard way.

I want to share it to everyone, to alert everyone stupid people like me exists. I hope that it would never happen to anyone else. I don't want anyone else to lose faith in themselves. I hate myself that I proved to be not suitable as a biker. I ruined my chance. Now, my husband would be worried sick whenever I am riding, and I would be worried that I would cause him to crash (he is a bike newbie too). That's why it is over. If it caused my life, that's my choice. If i caused someone else life, I just can't this chance.

So much for my stupidity...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow, seems like you are being a little too hard on yourself. If you don't feel safe or that riding is not right for you, my hats off to you. Not many people would accept such a reality. But if you really enjoy riding, it would be a bit premature to stop right now. Get lessons, ride in parking lots, and train yourself to become better. Don't give up so easily. If you still feel the same way after you have tried all that, a million rep points to you for making the hard decision.

Best of luck,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Winnie....sounds like its more of decision making process more then your skills. You seemed to make a good decision to take a turn 5 blocks away....a solid plan. Thn you threw a wrench into it when you decided to turn at the 3rd block. You seemed that you described what you should of done to fix the problem...You know how to ride...it's obvious because you spoke out the corrections and what you did wrong. Just remember next time to stick with your route. On the other hand if you don't feel safe....just ride in parking lots. If you're still not confident...then I respect you for your decision.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a similar accident (in severity, at least) last Thursday. I was going through an intersection, the light turns yellow, I thought "If I speed up, I will make it", so I did speed up, made the light, but the guy in front of me suddenly decides to stop. Me, still carrying the speed from running the yellow squeeze on the brakes, the end of the bike goes up, I fall on the street, the bike on it's side and that was it. I felt like the worst piece of sh-t, the bike was only 2 weeks old and it's all banged up now. I was able to ride back home about 2 miles and inspect the bike. Fortunately the damage is only cosmetic, not mechanical (as far as I can tell). I seriously considered calling it quits then, but I decided to grab a can of spray paint, mask the damage, and get back. Right now, I feel like I recovered mentally from my first fall, but I take it a lot easier on the streets. I think that my mindset after the fall will hopefully lead me to be a more careful driver. But anyway, you say that it was an inexcusable mistake, mine was too. I still blame the driver for breaking suddenly, but I could have definitely prevented my fall. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just hoping to show you that you are not alone, people make mistakes and it's only human. Still, you don't have to prove anything to anybody, and setting the bike down might be worth your peace of mind.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i agree...you made a good, forward thinking plan, then threw a wrench into the works. old habits die hard, and you have to force yourself (even to the point of talking to yourself!) to stick to the plan. it was a mistake, you learned from it after analyzing what you did wrong, and i doubt youd make that mistake again! thats how people learn most of the time...like when youre a kid and touch a pot of hot water. i never did that again!

the good thing is, youre ok. if you truly decide not to ride anymore, thats your decision. i just think you need some more time practicing and getting used to the bike and spend some time mentally preparing yourself. it seems youre still in the car driving mindset. after 10 years it can be hard to break it, but you have to get into the bike riding mindset.

if you do decide to stick with it, find an experienced rider to help you adjust. if you dont stick with it, good luck with whatever you do in the future! i still think you could make a damn good rider, you just need to get a little more training. the MSF is good, but doesnt teach you everything, and riding a bike is a constant learning experience!

G

·
winnie - from one female rider to another - i know where you are coming from.... please send me a pm before you sell - i'll tell you about my experience... and kkim is amazing to talk with on the subject too- he's great about helping you to analyze what's going on.... if you read in the pwt around page 289 you'll see my story....

·
Registered
57 Posts
As someone who has only visited NYC a couple of times, to me it wouldn't seem the ideal place to learn as a newbie. We live in the country and my wife just got a 250 a few months ago. It took about 500 miles of riding with me for her to get up enough confidence to go on a longer ride that included highway time and some in town. We started off on back roads just to get her comfortable with the controlls and cornering.
Best of luck, whatever you do

·
Registered
633 Posts
As someone who has only visited NYC a couple of times, to me it wouldn't seem the ideal place to learn as a newbie. (...)
Really? I would always imagine that it's easier to learn on wide open roads than sharing streets with very, very important people who have to get somewhere important very fast, or others who are in their escalades in a hurry to pick up their benefits checks.
Just lol-ing with ya.

Edit: Whoa, Did I ever misread your post... dang...

·
Registered
274 Posts
winnie, there is no rule that you have to start on a 250 you know. when i was a kid a 250 seemed like a big bike. people were starting out on honda 50's, then moving on to a 90, then maybe a 160 or 250. scoooters are great too and give the wind in the face just like a motorcycle. i had three bikes before i got a 250 at 16. might be worth thinking about as all the basic skills can be learned on a small bike. j

·
Registered
204 Posts
i live in li i recently got my 250r... if you want we can meet up early one morning and practice for a hour or two.before i go to my parents house in queens...im new too no pressure. pm me

·
Registered
74 Posts
you made a good decision to admit that you are not safe on a bike. I give you credit for getting out while you are still in one piece. To me, bike riding is part skill and mostly decision making skills within your brain.

You made the right decision... the way you describe seems almost like you might also be dangerous behind the wheel
but safe in your car. but you might be dangerous to bikers also with your car...

you might want to go for driver training course, and have more mental confidence, more decisive decision making skills in all phase of life skills.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks everyone

cajuntlr, I read some of your other threads. Just couldn't relate you dropping the bike with your expertise on modifying bike. I am sure seat time with the bike will help, just not sure how many injuries sbb and I could take. Believe or not, I am undecisable, again, after I decided not to ride :(

Mrsupersport, I definitely need to get rid of my bad habits no matter I am riding bike or not. Last thing I want is causing someone else get into accident.

Artood2s and sgrimsey01, I was riding in a parking lot on the very first day I got my bike for 4 hours. NYC parking lot is just too small and not any safer than on the road, plus the speed I could do is too slow compare to when I am on the road. As far as lesson, there is no MSF near by. Getting to MSF is a problem. As long as, I don't make stupid move, I am ok in my local residential area. I am not sure if I will do something stupid again. I just don't expect myself to be that stupid.

wojtek19890, please hate me. I would be those stupid @$#$ who contribute to your crash.

soc_monki, thank you for saying "i still think you could make a damn good rider". Even though, I know I am not one and far from one now.

Hokie250 The degree of your accident is even worse. The only different is mine was stupid, yours wasn't. A small ramp could throw me off. I have never ride on any slope so far. You have to see how shaky I am when I go up ramp of driveways. Close call everytime. I am proud of you! Not matter I am riding or not, I could definitely learn something from you.

leanandmean and wojtek19890, hehehe, it wasn't that bad in my residential neighborhood. Just need to look out some nasty driver. I got cut by car right next to me few times which they claimed that they couldn't see me. It is hard to find a safe place to ride in the city. I have less than 60 miles on my bike so far after the MSF course. I just have to get rid of those stupid habits. At least, I learn to look out for bikers now.

jellero, call me stupid stubborn, I will not compensate a scooter for my sbb. No way. I drove scooter in Bermuda before. Totally different story. But smaller engine sounds a good idea if they have ninja 150R, that would be perfect :D I am a big ninja fan!! You see, I deserve all the trouble.

itzstress, if I could make it to LI to meet up with you. I guess we could race by then. Thanks though.

Fake Friend, Merci, monsieur or madame Fake Friend.

honda pc, I agreed 100% with you. I definitely have to work on my decision making. That's why everyone around me said I am not suitable for bike. I was too naive thinking that the more I practice, the better I would be, but that's given that I didn't die before I practice more. You are right, I am a threat to others people on the road if I continue this undecisable behavior. That's part of the reason I hate myself so much. I need to do something. I have been doing driver education on track. I went once in Aug, going to another in Oct.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was riding on a main local street in NYC (to answer cajuntir question), at normal speed, heading straight and planned to turn 5 blocks later. As I was about 1/2 block approaching to the corner of the 3rd block, I changed my mind to turn into this corner... I didn't break much, didn't look, since I didn't expect the turn would be less than 90 degree. When I was turning, I then saw that I won't make the turn most likely. I was turning close to the curb of the outside of the turn. There was a suv parked about 2 cars from where I was heading to. I didn't know what would happen if I didn't hit the curb perpendicularly. Even thought I made the turn, I would probably hit that suv. So I straighten my bike, braked, jumped the curb, the bike wobbled, and my poor "sbb" fell with me. I jumped up and picked "sbb" right back up after fell, but it just... :(

:mad: I hate myself so much for doing this %&(**&^& stupid retard thing to my "sbb". I put scratches on the fairing and broke the turn signal, and I put bruises, scratches on myself. If there was car parked closer to the corner, if there was pedestrian on the curb, I can't imagine what would happen. I have been driving more than 10 years. This is not a mistake which should happen, no excuse:mad:.

Skill develops with sit time, but stupidity likes this is just ... I don't even know what to say. I was thinking like cajuntir before: i will get better if I practice more. But everyone that knows me keep saying that I am just not a biker, too risky for me. Now I learn it the hard way.

I want to share it to everyone, to alert everyone stupid people like me exists. I hope that it would never happen to anyone else. I don't want anyone else to lose faith in themselves. I hate myself that I proved to be not suitable as a biker. I ruined my chance. Now, my husband would be worried sick whenever I am riding, and I would be worried that I would cause him to crash (he is a bike newbie too). That's why it is over. If it caused my life, that's my choice. If i caused someone else life, I just can't this chance.

So much for my stupidity...
Ok first off. new rider + NYC = bad day. Its almost impossible to drive a car in nyc, let alone a bike.

Where are you located? There are plenty of people local on long island (i am one of them) That would have no problem going out with you and attempt to improve the things you do right, and try and change the things you do wrong. i think its a little early to give up, trust me everyone has had moments where they felt down about riding. I went on a sunday burn out east and i just felt like i was riding horrible, a lot of line corrections and i just wasn't smooth. Honestly it was just a bad day.

PM me if you want to take me up on that offer. I've been helping my friend learn on his 250 and he has made remarkable progress. When he gets to a 600 he's going to be way faster then me :mad: . Its just a matter of practice. NYC is not the place for it, I live on the Nassau Suffolk border, and know some great roads that will help you get comfortable with cornering, elevation changes, and the traffic is very light. I also have a great parking lot that is huge, open, and theres no entrance/exit in that area so no cars come through.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts