Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out Sport Rider or Cycle World magazine...I forget what one offhand. They show a step-by-step guide to cut the fender...and also install a fender eliminator kit. You could either cut it not quite as short (just a bobbed fender) or even make your own eliminator based on the design shown...it's not complex. Some sheet metal and away you go.

If nothign else, you'll at least get some pointers on cutting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your mind may already be set on an integrated unit, but just FYI. The only differences between the stock storage space and one where the fender has been eliminated (using a Competition Werkes eliminator) are:

1) The space narrows toward the back, but you still have considerable space in the trunk. The tool kit is untouched;

2) There's a hole in the plate which replaces the part you cut off, where the signal light wires can pass thru and, potentially, for mud and dirt to come in to the storage space. The stock storage is sealed off.

3) It gets dirty a lot. You better have a rear hugger ready to reduce the dirt kicked up towards the undertail. Otherwise (esp. with a whole fiberglass unit), you'll be worrying too much about your soiled undies.

4) Aside from the square that's cut off from the rear bottom, everything else is retained (battery box, etc.)

Hope that wasn't TOO boring ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
after looking closer at my bike, i'm getting more and more scared to do my fender elimination. my zx6 is my first sport bike so it will also be my first elimination. i noticed all the important stuff that appears to be used by my current stock under tail. [i.e. battery, trunk space for tool kit, bolt space for handlebars.] what happens to all that stuff if i buy a new undertail. i realize that i could just cut the stock one above the plate holder but i like the look of a fiberglass undertail better. oh boy am i confused......[?][}:)]

-amvenne
'99 ZX6r

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry to bore everyone with this but i really do need help and i appreciate all the advice. ok, so if i were to use an undertail already made, like this one www.extremegraphicfsmd.com/indexeng.html , i would still have to do some cutting? the cutting part doesnt bother me and wouldnt be a problem, i'm just worried about making a wrong cut. this undertail is what i really want to use, do you think this would be the easiest choice?
thanks for all the help guys.

-amvenne
'99 ZX6r

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if you want to keep your trunk get a undertail from pyramid plastics. i have one and it looks real clean:)

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i just saw the one from hot bodies racing, i like that one alot. what do you guys think about that undertail?

-amvenne
'99 ZX6r

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by amvenne

i just saw the one from hot bodies racing, i like that one alot. what do you guys think about that undertail?

-amvenne
'99 ZX6r
just ordered mine, should be in by the end of the week

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I am still debating about this as well, I'm going to get an undertail, most definitely, however, here is my dilemma:
Hot Bodies - uses a tail light integrator, when signaling, and you press on the brakes, the signal does not remain blinking, it goes to steady! This cannot be too safe... So you think, i'll add signals to the rear, that's easy enough, where to mount them? How much will this cost? Do I want to drill my rear fairing to make room for more signals? Make a bracket to hold the plate and signals?

Graphic Art Moto Design - My favorite of all the undertails, but at 299.95 +s/h it is the most expensive. It incorporates nice bright LED blinkers right into the underside, great idea, just a little on the pricey side.

Graphic Extreme's - NO signals and NO integrator, you will have to pay extra for either way you go.

IMO, it seems that www.graphicartmotodesign.com has the best undertail for maintaining a signal and looking hot! But the price! EEK! [:eek:)]

Yellow/Blk 2001 ZX-6R
Blk/Blk 2003 Acura CL-S 6 Speed

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd
if you want to keep your trunk get a undertail from pyramid plastics. i have one and it looks real clean:)
Let me second this.

Several members here have the Pyramid undertail and you do not loose any of the trunk space.

Also I think a great way to clean up the back end of the bikeis to get a hugger and undertail.

SO if you want a trunk retailing undertail, you get get this same type of from either Pyramid or from Ermax.

I got the Pyramid one (couldn't find anyone local who could get the Ermax) and I am very happy with the feel and construction and the color match (passion red 02) is just perfect.

Also any undertail you do have to do some cutting. Remember, you have two things to deal with. Your license plate and your turn signals.

And some words of advice. "Measure three times, cut once." take pictures with a digital camera as you go along in case you have to reference back. And if you have to, keep track on paper of the various bolts and stuff so you don't get mixed up when you put it all back together.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.