Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done polishing my bike up and I found about a dozen fine to medium scratches in my fuel tank just right where the fuel tank meets the handle bars on the left side of the tank. can these be buffed out or waxed out? what kind of products should I use?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Depends if the bike is a clearcoat or matte finish and how deep the scratches are. If it;s clearcoat and the scratches haven;t made it to the paint, there are multiple scratch removers out there and some of them actually work. I get scratches like that on my car real bad because of where I work. I take my cars and get them wet sanded and polished every year and that takes all the scratches out. I'd try some scratch removers first and if that doesn;t do it, take it to a body shop and have them wet sand it. You'll have to get new tank stckers though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Me personally I only use zaino products.....They are amazing!

But I would get a clay bar and clay the tank.

Wash the tank, Clay the tank, wash the tank again, use what ever rubbing compound or polish you need to get the scrathes out and then apply a polish/wax to protect everything.

·
Powerhungry
37,957 Posts
Originally posted by Dronetone
I just got done polishing my bike up and I found about a dozen fine to medium scratches in my fuel tank just right where the fuel tank meets the handle bars on the left side of the tank. can these be buffed out or waxed out? what kind of products should I use?
black bike, im guessing. unfortunately, thats something u are going to have to get used to. black is the WORST. shows EVERYTHING. if u fix these scratches, more will follow. unless ofcourse u dont ride it anymore.:(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my sz 10r is green, what kind of wax or clay do you recommend? what does it do? where would be a good place to go and get really good products like this???

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
my sz 10r is green, what kind of wax or clay do you recommend? what does it do? where would be a good place to go and get really good products like this???
Mothers makes a clay bar/polish kit that works real well. If I remember right, it should be less than $20 and any AutoZone or place like that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most clay kits are all the same....My personal favorite so far has to be my 3M clay bar. But that way the clay removes every paint imperfection before you start the polish and wax process......

The best way to keep swirls away is to use 100% AMERICAN MADE towels (yes there is a difference) and cut all tags and seems off them. It cuts the life of the towel down some but it removes anything that can scratch the finish. The dry your bike in one direction depending on the shape of the panel........LIke a gas tank you would go from left to righ....That way if you do put any scrathes in the finish they are going in the direction of the lines of the tank and your eyes will blend that all in and you won't see them.....And do the same when you polish the paint too. All those things will keep the swirls at bay and help remove any scrathes you may have. I'm a detail freak on my g35 coupe....I usually have 6 coats of zaino on it at any given time....[8D]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, but my surface scratches are going to need more than just watewr a and a microfiber cloth. Ill be starting with a light abbrasive and then moving up to the clays...

·
Powerhungry
37,957 Posts
Thanks, but my surface scratches are going to need more than just watewr a and a microfiber cloth. Ill be starting with a light abbrasive and then moving up to the clays...
nooo thats for AFTER. will prevent any minor scratches you know the fucking irritating ones that show in the sun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.