Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed this book, if you like the Back to the Future movie but with added alien soldiers and zombie clones. Here is part of a review for it from Amazon:

I picked up "Apocalypse Troll" to see if I liked David Weber.

"Apocalypse Troll" begins with a riveting battle which runs for the first 65 pages or so. You won't want to put the book down for a break during this period. The story then slows down for a while before building to the climax. The book is well paced and rarely boring. It is not deep and thought provoking, so don't expect "Dune". But it is fun.

A human from the future named Colonel Ludmilla Leonovna, a fighter pilot with decades of experience but a young hard female body that sci fi writers love, also survives. Now Ludmilla, along with a veteran Navy SEAL from present day, must begin the plan to defeat this Troll before he can destroy mankind.

Not a deep novel, but fast and fun.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hand hurts a little and my throat gets a little dry when I think about the first Dune book. Too bad the movie was very poor compared to Frank Herbert's book.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Dune is very good, the sequels a bit less so.

Try Ian M Banks 'Culture' series for some good SF reading.

Rob

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added Ian M Banks to my list of books to read.

My favorite science fiction author is Robert Heinlein, especially his earlier books. My favorite regular fiction author is George Orwell. My favorite mystery writer is Dick Francis.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert. Great SciFi writers.

Love the Foundation series. The original Dune book is a phenomenal story. I've enjoyed some of the stuff Herbert's son has done as well.

The In Her Name Series by Michael Hicks is very good.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished two novels by Iain M. Banks, the 1998 Inversions and the 2000 Look to Windward. I liked both of them, even though Banks often uses a big word where a smaller word would have made the writing easier to read. The first was a mixture of historical fiction with a little science fiction, and the second was science fiction from the Culture series.

Here is my favorite section from Look to Windward, page 226 for the library edition I had:

[Think of all of the]..."gatherings, concerts, dances, ceremonies, parties and meals; think of all that talk, all those ideas, all that sparkle and wit!"

"Think of all that bullshit, the nonsense and non-sequiturs, the self-aggrandisement and self-deception, the boring stupid nonsense, the pathetic attempts to impress or ingratiate, the slow-wittedness, the incomprehension and the incomprehensible, the gland-addled meanderings and general suffocating dullness."

"That is the chaff, Ziller. I ignore that. I can respond politely and where necessary felicitously to the most intense bore forever without flagging and it costs me nothing."

·
Registered
286 Posts
I read a lot of books every year, mostly fiction, however I just found this quite amazing nonfiction book, one of the best I have ever seen and it is about a lot more than just elephants. A couple of reviews from Amazon:
-
-
“Elephantoms is one of the loveliest stories I have ever read. It quickly worked it's way into my heart and soul. Lyall Watson has such a wonderful style of writing and the experiences to share, enabling his reader to enter his world and feel the wonder leap off the page. I keep buying this book and giving it away. Finally I have a copy of my own, at least for a time...

Having first read Gifts of Unknown Things, I knew I'd found a writer of "lyrical fact," a talented man who perceives things from a multitude of viewpoints, blending them together with wisdom and a superb talent for linking very disparate things. I promise you that you will never again see elephants without being absorbed by your new knowledge of their gifts."

https://www.amazon.com/Elephantoms-Tracking-Elephant-Lyall-Watson/product-reviews/0393324591/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews
-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts