Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I saw something this morning that made me cringe and shake my head all at the same time. As I was coming down the freeway getting ready to exit I see a helmet in a sea of cages and get up close to see if it is someone to ride with. As I close in on the guy I see it is a newer scooter. As I get behind him I look down and see that he is doing 80mph...on a scooter. Took me a minute to really grasp that, but I was like...okay.

Now, this wasn't one of those huge touring scooters, it was probably a 250cc and it was definitely an upright. I'm thinking to myself, even though your scooter CAN do 80mph, that doesn't me you SHOULD!

As we exit the freeway, I'm still behind the guy and we both turn right. He is riding flat out into the morning traffic and starts weaving in and out of cars...no blinkers, no head turns, not watching in front of him. So I keep pace but ride a bit more responsibly. When we get to the next light, more of the same and this continues on for about 4 miles. I swear, if this idiot could have rode a wheelie he would have. I don't know what the stopping power of a scooter riding on a couple of pizza cutter tires is, but my guess it isn't great.

Best part? He is wearing some khaki shorts, hawiian shirt and a 1/2 helmet. Now, he does get partial credit for at least wearing a 1/2 helmet, but damn man...scooter squid all the way!!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I might get flamed, but it looks so gay to wear gear on a scooter. I know it's the smart thing to do. I would buy a 250 motorcycle any day before I bought a scooter, for that reason and others.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might get flamed, but it looks so gay to wear gear on a scooter. I know it's the smart thing to do. I would buy a 250 motorcycle any day before I bought a scooter, for that reason and others.
I'd agree if the guy was tooling around campus or his neighborhood but when you're doing 80mph on the freeway or weaving in and out of traffic like a getaway driver, you should probably gear up! :eek:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Okay, I saw something this morning that made me cringe and shake my head all at the same time.

hapens to me when i see gixxers. holy shit they are EVERYWHERE down here.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
27,417 Posts
well you do know that the concrete is softer if you ride a scooter. Scientific fact.
Yeah, I would question the stability of those things with those tiny tires. Plus since they try to keep scooters on the cheap side its not like they have the most capable suspension.
I asked a friend why he bought a scooter instead of a 250 motorcycle. (his scooter cost almost as much and is a 250cc) he said because he doesn't think he's badass enough for a motorcycle....but he's badass enough for a scooter that is just as fast, but less capable...just didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Okay, I saw something this morning that made me cringe and shake my head all at the same time. As I was coming down the freeway getting ready to exit I see a helmet in a sea of cages and get up close to see if it is someone to ride with. As I close in on the guy I see it is a newer scooter. As I get behind him I look down and see that he is doing 80mph...on a scooter. Took me a minute to really grasp that, but I was like...okay.

Now, this wasn't one of those huge touring scooters, it was probably a 250cc and it was definitely an upright. I'm thinking to myself, even though your scooter CAN do 80mph, that doesn't me you SHOULD!

As we exit the freeway, I'm still behind the guy and we both turn right. He is riding flat out into the morning traffic and starts weaving in and out of cars...no blinkers, no head turns, not watching in front of him. So I keep pace but ride a bit more responsibly. When we get to the next light, more of the same and this continues on for about 4 miles. I swear, if this idiot could have rode a wheelie he would have. I don't know what the stopping power of a scooter riding on a couple of pizza cutter tires is, but my guess it isn't great.

Best part? He is wearing some khaki shorts, hawiian shirt and a 1/2 helmet. Now, he does get partial credit for at least wearing a 1/2 helmet, but damn man...scooter squid all the way!!
I betcha the guy was from NY city. You wanna see some scary scooter riding, come to NY...

Oh and believe it or not, those fuggin' things can wheelie. I've seen some kids on youtube that can wheelie the shit outta those things.:cool:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thats nothing, I see those scooter squids all the time in Chicago. A lot of them drive the exact same way. On a scooter the cool thing is to wear a half helmet :D.

Yesterday at a light when I stopped there was a scooter next to me, being driven by a guy and chick on the back. They both were looking so I nodded to them, but they kept starring. I was going to blow the chick a kiss hahaha but light turned green.

·
Registered
679 Posts
does it look gay wearing full gears on a classic model 250? i dont want to look gay
If I were you I would worry about bigger, better things. Like learning to ride and passing the MSF.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I never see scooter people wear anything but sandals, shorts and a tshirt...nothing new

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
I asked a friend why he bought a scooter instead of a 250 motorcycle. (his scooter cost almost as much and is a 250cc) he said because he doesn't think he's badass enough for a motorcycle....but he's badass enough for a scooter that is just as fast, but less capable...just didn't make sense to me.
I think many of the scooter people think they are incapable of using a clutch and shifting so they resort to scooters that have 2 controls ... GAS ... BRAKE.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i just laugh at scooters, there was some guy in front of my on my way to work today at a stop light with a bicycle helmet on. light turned green, he made it halfway through the intersection and then stopped, and started walkin it on the sidewalk. poor guy...looked like a fuckin moron

and my neighbor is like this 45 yr old lady with a new red vespa and it has like a dog carrier on the back, so she farts around town with her dog all day. then i saw her near my work one morning (about 30 minutes away) with dog in tow again. then a week ago i saw her and she had a friend with the exact same scooter. theyre mobilizing...be on the lookout. everyones gettin a damn scooter, especially people who have no business being on anything with two wheels

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.