Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the Scorpion EXO Raider helmet cause it matches my '05 blue 6R.

I have read the posts I came across on my SEARCH (Hoser;)) but I want some updated feedback from any of you who own this helmet.

What do you think? Is it comfy? Have any of you had a wreck with one and how did it hold up?

lastly, am I better off getting another Shoei RF1000 instead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ride with a Scoprion Exo700. I don't have much of base to rate this helmet on because this is my first bike and helmet; but I can tell you that after breakin it is very comfortable. The padding is soft agaist my face and really does work well against moisture. The anti-fog shield is amazing; it's been close to 90 here in Seattle for the last week and I have been riding in full gear and never had the thing even show a bit of fog. The venting works ok but its not amazing.

So overall for a $200 helmet you can't go wrong not to mention they look pretty damn good too.

Will

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
If you can find a Vemar VSR, go for that. try www.sportbiketrackgear.com ... I think that's the website...something like that, or superbiketrackgear or something... that's where I found mine. $160 shipped makes it cheaper than the exo-700, significantly lighter (over 1 full pound lighter), the interior is more comfortable, the venting is absolutely outstanding, and the finish and graphics are top-tier. It's within grams of the Arai RX-7 Corsair, which is to say 3 pounds even on a USPS shipping scale, give or take a few ounces. Regardless of what Scorpion says, their Exo 700 helmets weigh in at over 4 pounds. Believe me, I've used four different shipping scales from USPS, UPS, and FedEx to weigh the Vemar, the Arai, and the Scorpion. Maybe Scorpion's weighing just the shell with no polystyrene or lining or padding or visor or vents to get their weight figures? Either way, the Scorpions are reasonably safe...I've known a few people who have gone down in them and they came out no worse for wear, but the Vemar is a true $500-$600 helmet for less than the Scorpion (Vemar's MSRP at $500, have the quality and features and functionality of the $600 helmet range, and for the last few months everyone's been selling them at $160 shipped to make room for the new Vemar's, since they're all imported and vemar is very picky about who gets what). So...yep. That's what I'd suggest.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Did you get the blue/silver or blue chrome?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the Octane EXo400 blue and it's very comfortable and the anti-fog works great. I think I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for the EXO700. The EXO400 is more than good enough as both are rated DOT and SNELL.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
Cool. Did you get the blue/silver or blue chrome?
I sent you a PM...I think it was you who PMed me about it...anyway, yeah I got the blue chrome. The blue I think is a good match for the 04 and 05 blues, the darker hues, but it's noticably darker than the 03 blue, and obviously than the flat 06 pastel blue, or whatever they're calling it. :D It fits in with my Icon leather jacket, though, so it's not that bad.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DRAT!

I just called them Dragnt and they dont have any smalls left in stock.[V]

Anyone else have any feedback?

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Oh, just so you make a fully informed decision...the Vemar VSR is quiet with road noise and wind crackle, but for whatever reason the tonal range of my Akra exhaust cuts right through the helmet and it's pretty noisy...not that that's a bad thing, but long trips can get a bit loud, also because of the great venting you do hear a decent amount of wind noise...it's not the loud crackle that you hear in cheap helmets, and it's not really a whistle...you just hear wind. Not too bad, but again, long highway stints it gets a bit noisy. Same deal with other well vented helmets, though, like the RX7 and such.

Also, the only problem I've had...the leather pull tab on the strap that you pull to loosen the strap when you're taking off the helmet...on the Vemar, it's a folded strap of leather with the Vemar logo that goes through one of the D-rings, and it has a clear plastic protection piece over it, and it's glued together very well, but after almost one season on it the glue came undone, so I just had a chick I know stitch it together real quick, and it's totally solid again.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
DRAT!

I just called them Dragnt and they dont have any smalls left in stock.[V]

Anyone else have any feedback?
The Vemar helmets do run about a half-size small. I wear a size small Shark helmet that fits me like a glove, and ordered a size Medium Vemar (didn't have any smalls when I ordered either), and it fits fine. A little looser than my Shark, but definately tighter than other medium's I've tried. Also, you can buy replacement full interior sets, cheek pads, crown liners, etc...might have to order them from Vemar and have them shipped here, but the small and medium are the same shell size, so the small interior will fit the medium helmet and presto, you have a size small. But like I said, I normally wear a small, and I don't have any issues wearing a Medium Vemar.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Originally posted by Obiwan
I have the Octane EXo400 blue and it's very comfortable and the anti-fog works great. I think I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for the EXO700. The EXO400 is more than good enough as both are rated DOT and SNELL.
I agree, I have EXO 400 in flat black, ONE of the best helmets I have ever owned. It does get whipped around a little on the interstate, but I had an Arai that was worse.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Friend of mine just bought an EXO 700 and he likes it. For the quality, you can't beat the price. It has a lot of the features a very expensive helmet has. My friend's only problem is that it does not fit well with his ear buds to listen to his MP 3 player.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the 700 is a good bet.

I could care less about ear buds...the Akra would overpower 'em anyways.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
the exo400 is good too...I've had one for about 6 months and have always bought kinda cheap helmets. It's the best of the cheap.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have an exo700 helmet also. i like it alot. i looked at the 400 series but i liked the graphics on the 700 raider better myself. for the money i dont think you are gonna find a better helmet

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Yes, Scorpion is way better than HJC, but Vemar is WAY better than Scorpion, and you can get them for cheaper than the Exo 700.

N

·
0 Posts
where can i view pics of vemar helmets

btw i replied to the other post bout the ride tomorrow

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just ordered the blue chrome Vemar, thanks for the heads up dragknt :) Been looking at replacing my helmet for a while but couldn't find a reason for replacing my perfectly fine one for a 600 dollar Suomy or the like.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts

No problem, theapp. I've worn HJC's, Icons, KBC's, Sharks, Suomy's, Shoei's, AGV's, Arai's, Scorpion's, and Vemars, and the Vemar is by far the best bang for the buck, bar none. It MSRP's at $499, and it's well worth that price. For the quality you get, that price is actually somewhat of a bargain...I'd expect it to MSRP in the AGV/Arai range, upwards of $600 or so, so it's insane that everyone's blowing them out for $160.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.