Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received a used damper ... first question... around the outside of the damper itself are about 5 small threaded allen bolts.... 3 are missing? what is their purpose??

second quesiton.. how the heck do i get the the hex bolt off the steering stemm?? that thing is on tight!!!..

that's iot seems pretty simple...... we'll see if i like the damper if not i'll just resell it...

to get over someone .....get under someone!!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
#1 To remove the steering bolt your going to need a 12" long adjustable wrench that opens up to 2". I say 12" because this gives you a longer arm and makes it a lot easier. I beleive the bolt for our bike is around 1 7/8 diameter. It only on their by about 50-80lbs of torque. So Its not that hard to get off.
#2 The 8 small threaded allen bolts make sure the steering bolt does not loosen and helps to ensure the bracket fits snug over the nut. These threaded allan bolts MUST be put on with locktight. And also retightened after the first or second ride with the damper on the bike. Also You really should use all 8 of those threaded allen bolts. You can get by with using just 5 though. But at least call scotts and try to ask for three more.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Steering head is secured by a 36 mm nut...New hex nut is supplied by Scotts ( w/ the 8 tapped holes for the set screws ) I went to home-repo and got a 36 mm socket and 14 inch breaker bar for under 15 dollars...Dont use an adjustable unless you dont care if your stock nut gets marred up when you remove it....I'm starting out using mine in a loose setting.. all the way counter-clockwise is "off"..8 turns to clockwise is where I'm at..22 cliks in all...Be careful when performing parking lot manuveurs or attempting a 180 on a 2-lane road ( which is hard on a stock 636) steering will be somewhat affected by the hydraulic friction which must be overcome to turn even on loose settings but overall I'm glad I have it (cheap insurance) in case you hit some kinda obstacle (bump, rock, ripple, animal, etc under hard accceleration..might save your ass...[^]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.