Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what high and low speed settings do you use on the track? I made mine a little stiffer for the track, but I think it is affecting my switchbacks, but don't want to go too low since the track is rough especialy on the banked straight. I just need a good baseline point.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No such thing. Set it so it slightly slows your steering when the bike is just sitting. Go from there. Don't use other people's settings, why do you think they know something you don't? I set mine up at the track to slightly retard steering at slow speed and use more high speed damping. No two bikes or riders are alike.

·
Registered
812 Posts
As per a TPM coach, the proper way of setting a damper:
"Click it to the strength you want... Ride hard. No headshake? Click one off. Ride hard. No headshake? Click one off. As soon as you get a little head shake click it to one level up and leave it there. You don't want it too stiff. You don't want to fight with the damper to turn in the bike. You're already fighting withthe bike"

I have never used one, but that's what I heard.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I ride mine to headshake. I want a bit of headshake, not a lot, but enough that I know the damper is not too tight. Headshake won't hurt you, and it often tells you things about your riding (usually that you are putting input into the bars without knowing it). A bit is fine. The less dampening the better. Basically the right setting for a damper is one where you don't know it is there.

In the old days of linear dampers you would see guys crank them way up, come into the pits after a race, and fall over at slow speed trying to make a sharp corner into their pits on a damper on full.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I asked for a baseline is that in order to keep headshake down on my (very rough) track I dialed mine up pretty high and in the process I think it hempered my flickability. so if everyone's settings are substantialy lower than mine as a whole I would try some lower settings more confidently. Thanks for the input I'll definatly adjust it like you said feeling for the headshake instead of overkilling the setting to prevent it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.