Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im finally past brake in period on my bike ( havnt followed all the rules though) and i have noticed a tendency in my bike to wanna tank slap when i get the rpms up around 13or14 thousand. it happens just as my front wheel starts to come back on the ground during shifting, i ride up towards the tank but that doesnt seem to help a whole lot. my question is this: IS A STEERING DAMPER gonna fix this tendency? i dont wanna go spend 400 bukcs for looks but if it will provide some saftey mechinism i dont mind. i just ordered the full akrapovic evolution system (should be in this week) and im afraid that the tank slap is gonna increase all the more with the extra power at the top end when i get that system installed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
its better to be safe than sorry. I need to get a scotts damper too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a scotts and I will see it is worth the 400 USD. Pus I enjoy the peace of mind of having one if that matters.
I have never heard or read anything negative about the scotts damper

Paul

·
Registered
288 Posts
i need one for mine too.. i still dont know if i want to go with the scotts or the ohlins though. i have the rr wich has the mount on the frame already..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The bike will handle better and slap less if you properly set the sag. If money is a bit of a concern, set the sag (which is entirely free) and then test. You may like the results enough to keep your wallet shut. A damper may solve the slapping problem, but the bike will not handle quite as well as it can without the proper sag.

Also, in putting weight over the front on acceleration, you can give inadvertent input to the bars, which is the most common cause of slaps. Be sure to only gently rest your hands on the clip-ons.

For a simple guide on setting the sag, check out biketweakers.com or 2wf.com. For a detailed guide that allows for stiction, check out racetech.com.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I spoke to a guy who is with the factory kawasaki 636 racing team. He told me that for general street and casual track, the 636 stock is too aggressive. He said in particular the rear shock is too stiff. Of course they use an Ohlins but he said the problem is that there is too much load on the front wheel from the factory that's why the 636 transfers weight like a razor blade for quick turning. He told me for my weight, 140 lbs soaking wet, is to take all the preload I can out of the rear suspension, he also said don't worry, at the lowest setting the factory shock still has plenty of preload. This will transfer more of the weight on to the back wheel and increase stability.

of course, I still intend on getting a steering damper!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Speaking from experience, I think a steering damper is a must-have if you plan on doing any spirited twisites. I have noticed that if I get on it real hard coming out of a turn the bike tends to wiggle a little. I am sure that if I was higher in the RPMs that wiggle would be much worse. I also plan on gearing down, so I can see more wiggles in my future.

I plan on getting a Scott's as soon as the money comes in. I have looked at all of them and for the money Scott's is the best choice IN MY OPINION ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.