Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out on a ride today, took a slightly off camber turn at a bit faster than normal and heard a nice little scraping sound and vibration from my left foot. Pulled over and noticed a chunk of rubber missing from the removable piece underneath the foot peg.

Curious if scraping pegs is generally a good thing? Anything I'm doing wrong?

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Out on a ride today, took a slightly off camber turn at a bit faster than normal and heard a nice little scrapping sound and vibration from my left foot. Pulled over and noticed a chunk of rubber missing from the removable piece underneath the foot peg.

Curious if scrapping pegs is generally a good thing? Anything I'm doing wrong?
bad thing. you can float the rear wheel and you will crash. If going fast enough to scrap peg hang off the bike a little bit.

- remove the peg scraper things on the bottom of the pegs
- slow down or hang off a bit

you can lean a lot and still not drag peg.

joe

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For now, I only have about 500 miles under my belt, so I think slowing down is the best thing.

Just for reference, you're saying hang off the bike, leaning my body toward the ground and keeping the bike more upright? How does this typically efferct handling (physics wise, etc)?

· Registered
277 Posts
Scraping pegs lightly is not that dangerous since they are attached to a folding foot peg. Scraping hard mounted parts like rear brake lever or exhaust canister is a different story, can lead to levering the rear tire off the ground and cause a crash. On the street I use peg feelers to gauge how far I can safely lean the bike. On the track I use my knee sliders as my gauge.

· Registered
277 Posts
For now, I only have about 500 miles under my belt, so I think slowing down is the best thing.

Just for reference, you're saying hang off the bike, leaning my body toward the ground and keeping the bike more upright? How does this typically efferct handling (physics wise, etc)?
Just slow down a bit. IMO hanging off like racers do should be saved for the racetrack.

Here is some good info on setting your speed for street riding by the pros.

The Pace

· Registered
40 Posts
is your bike lowered??? and i agree hanging off should be saved for the track. but proper body positioning should always be used. just shift your weight to which ever side your turning to slide your butt slightly to that side and bend your elbow toward the turn point with your shoulder and bring your upper half also towards the turn. and if your scraping pegs and you dont even know the basics to body positioning. for one your going way to fast and also you may be leaning away from the turn which also might be pushing your bike lower to the ground then it has to be. above all slow the F down. and be careful ride safe and gain some expierience before you get yourself into a world of shit.

· Premium Member
15,187 Posts
yes, slow the fuck down. i was scraping peg & pipe on the 14 with the GF on the back a while ago...not very smart.
slow your roll, i did.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, slow the fuck down. i was scraping peg & pipe on the 14 with the GF on the back a while ago...not very smart.
slow your roll, i did.
I wasn't going terribly fast, probably 20-25 on a corner I've taken hundreds of times in my car going 45 or so. Felt completely safe and in control the entire time, just for some reason scraped the peg. As I said, turn was off camber, and I was probably going at it a bit too hard. I took it as a good reminder to slow down, and have done so since. Just wanted to check if there was anything I could do in the future to help prevent this, besides altering my speed.

· Premium Member
15,187 Posts
alter your speed first, then get more seat time.
i have over 30 years seat time, but shit still happens...

· Premium Member
15,187 Posts

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
Stop leaning your body out of the turns and start leaning into them. The bike will require less of a lean angle to make the same corner and you won't scrape hard parts.

· Registered
28,267 Posts
i have had more than a few bikes come into the shop for insurance repair quotes that result in "totalled" after nasty "forced" lowsides by peg feelers catching road reflectors. they aren't fuckin moving and they're metal. they're glued into the road bed. once you drag a puck across one you'll shat lightly. once you drag a PEG or feeler across one you'l... probably crash. if you don't i suggest picking a better line thru the apex anyway. lol

· Registered
40 Posts
im betting like dude said quit leaning away from the turn you might not feel like you are but im bettin thats it. you can lean the F out these bikes with the right body position and you wont scrape pegs. lean the wrong way and itll hit before you know it.

· My Brute is weak
41,559 Posts
Scraping pegs lightly is not that dangerous since they are attached to a folding foot peg. Scraping hard mounted parts like rear brake lever or exhaust canister is a different story, can lead to levering the rear tire off the ground and cause a crash. On the street I use peg feelers to gauge how far I can safely lean the bike. On the track I use my knee sliders as my gauge.
Just slow down a bit. IMO hanging off like racers do should be saved for the racetrack.

Here is some good info on setting your speed for street riding by the pros.

The Pace
Getting off the bike and preserving lean angle is much more preferable than ever touching down any hard parts on the street, including feelers.

Peg feelers should be one of the first things to be removed off of the bike as far as I'm concerned.

· Registered
277 Posts
Getting off the bike and preserving lean angle is much more preferable than ever touching down any hard parts on the street, including feelers.

Peg feelers should be one of the first things to be removed off of the bike as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you if you are an experienced rider, but the OP only has 500 miles under his belt. Leaving the feelers on I feel gives him a warning sign before he starts grinding hard parts.

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
I agree with you if you are an experienced rider, but the OP only has 500 miles under his belt. Leaving the feelers on I feel gives him a warning sign before he starts grinding hard parts.
Should probably check his actual riding position, something as simple as leaning into the turn from the waist, just tipping yourself a little bit makes a HUGE difference in required lean angle.

If he's riding correctly he shouldn't be scraping hard parts at 500miles ridden.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
you got a lot of work to do before you worry about this, your lucky you didn't eat it to be honest, if you wanna ride fast head to the track, you'll learn more there in a day than you will in a year on the street. Hard parts and pavement are recipie for disaster thats for certain. be careful and find a track

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.