Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup all. I've only been riding since march and I've put in about 8000 miles. 4000 on a 250 and 4000 on my 636. With a lot of the riders i ride with I am always hearing about how they are scraping pegs around the corners and whatever. Anyways, i'm not a slow rider and I always keep up but just trying to figure out how many of you feel comfortable scraping pegs on your 636? I've never scraped my pegs on the 636 and only once did it on the 250. My chicken strips really aren't that bad about half an inch on the back and an inch on the front. I guess I'm just wondering if my cornering technique is wrong or something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,463 Posts
Alot of people that run into the dreaded peg scraping have not dialed their bikes suspension in...Especially if they are dragging things on the road..
Also body position is also a part, especially on the street.

And these guys are wearing full leathers also i assume?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah full leathers. I guess I'm just a little confused. We all ride together and noone is particularly faster then anyone else but I don't scrape my pegs. They on the other hand are always bragging about how they scraped thier pegs in the twisties but I was either right in front or behind them. they aren't going any faster then me and we're all taking pretty much the same lines.
 

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
Joined
·
10,796 Posts
not quite sure why anyone would want to actively try and scrape their pegs. i scraped my foot once and that scared the shit outta me.

imho, scraping shit is a sign of lack of skill rather than a sign of skill. sure, you can lean the shit outta the bike (which i enjoy very much) but a skilled rider who leans less but positions his body better will be able to go faster than you. you might have a "better" lean angle, but isn't it all about who can go the fastest in the twisties?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
You don't necessarily have to go faster to lean more, they might just be taking the turns sharper than you instead of taking the turns outside, inside, outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
not quite sure why anyone would want to actively try and scrape their pegs. i scraped my foot once and that scared the shit outta me.

imho, scraping shit is a sign of lack of skill rather than a sign of skill. sure, you can lean the shit outta the bike (which i enjoy very much) but a skilled rider who leans less but positions his body better will be able to go faster than you. you might have a "better" lean angle, but isn't it all about who can go the fastest in the twisties?
hmm ok. that makes sense to me. I guess i was just a little confused as to why they were bragging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't ride with these guys much but the few times i have they lean way off the bike through every corner and i mean every corner. No matter how shallow the angle may be they are off the seat and way off to one side of the bike. Not to change the subject but i don't usually see sportbike riders doing that except with these guys. just wondering how many of you out there do that. is there a big advantage. I know there must be on the track but where we ride it seemed kind of pointless for the speeds were were going.
 

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
Joined
·
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by fclark
i don't ride with these guys much but the few times i have they lean way off the bike through every corner and i mean every corner. No matter how shallow the angle may be they are off the seat and way off to one side of the bike. Not to change the subject but i don't usually see sportbike riders doing that except with these guys. just wondering how many of you out there do that. is there a big advantage. I know there must be on the track but where we ride it seemed kind of pointless for the speeds were were going.
on every curve? no, that's just stupid. you should hold the same line throughout the curve and that's impossible to do if you're coming off the bike on curves with small degrees of turn. they probably just look retarded...

yes, i come off the bike on curves that warrant it. but typically only at speeds of 50mph or higher. i dont see any purpose in dragging a knee while going any slower than that.

i used to not get off the bike that often (or at all) until a lot of people told me that i was very close to low-siding. now i get off the bike a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used to not get off the bike that often (or at all) until a lot of people told me that i was very close to low-siding. now i get off the bike a lot.


whats the proper way to get off the bike like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Our bikes have pretty low clearances when you start to really push it. I've scrapped my pegs on the track and on the street and thats with me leaning off the bike like a monkey. If you read some reviews in magazines, they even complain of scraping hardparts. Alot also depends on corner and the banking of the surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
scraping pegs is a bad thing. and if yer friends are gloating about it, they haven't been riding for long. And they also have no idea what body positioning is. bascially they are on the bike too much but think they are off and lookin like rossi but in actuality they are getting the bike leaned over way too much.
 

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
Joined
·
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by fclark



whats the proper way to get off the bike like that?
ill leave that question to a more experienced rider. im still learning the tricks of getting off the bike so i dont wanna give you any bad/wrong info.

there was an argument about this not too long ago and someone posted the diagram of proper riding position. but im way too lazy to go back and find it :D

im sure everyone knows what im talking about. also, check this out:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/146_0310_motorcycle_riding_position/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
I shouldn't even reply to this since I am by no means an "experienced" rider. However I have scraped my pegs quite a few times the first time it scared the crap out of me. The other time was on the dragon. I had been trying and experimenting with lean trying to knock off my chicken strips (Which I have None now :D) Anyway the guys are right laying the bike over to drag pegs does not mean you are faster or better. Lately I have been trying to get off the bike more and get the speed up, and the last trip to the dragon I was quite a bit faster and never drug the first peg and I still used all my tire to keep the strips off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Originally posted by aznridr
scraping pegs is a bad thing. and if yer friends are gloating about it, they haven't been riding for long. And they also have no idea what body positioning is. bascially they are on the bike too much but think they are off and lookin like rossi but in actuality they are getting the bike leaned over way too much.
i agree with him. they dont sound that good about that whole body positioning thing and besides scrapping your pegs can cause your bike to lift and the back tyre to wash out.Yo fclark and if you say that you only been riding a short time and can keep right up with them they aint shit....oh and if you really wanna get good there is a book called A TWIST OF THE WRIST by kieth code its all about racing, he teaches the lessons in the book in his class at superbike school, ive read it and its greatly increased my riding ability.i rip shit up thrugh the canyons over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
Something doesn't add up here. Half-inch on the back and an inch on the front is actually a long ways away from dragging anything. My rears are scuffed all the way to the edge and the front is 1/4 to 1/2" or so, and I've never dragged anything, not even scraped a toe slider. If your buddies are hanging off, then they would have less lean angle than you at the same speed, so if you are keeping up then you should be dragging pegs before they are.
 

·
Got lime? I do
Joined
·
16,736 Posts
sounds like the guys are leaning over on purpose just so they can brag about scraping. could be a bunch of idiots. and leaning off the bike in every turn has got to be a site. guess their leaning towards that idiot thing. leaning when needed is fine. leaning when not needed is looking stupid imo. i've never scraped a peg and don't care nothing about it. the good riders round here will tell you they can but they don't go out doing it. i suggest more practice in the twistie's and while there leaning and dragging you can cruze on by them in a proper way. my 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Hanging off the bike and dragging the pegs, is not necessarily the fastest way through a corner. It is entirely possible that you will be faster through a corner than your friends, even though they're dragging bits, and you aren't.

I'm sure they're dragging the pegs just so they can brag that they've done it. Not for any real reason other than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Whlyphobia
Something doesn't add up here. Half-inch on the back and an inch on the front is actually a long ways away from dragging anything. My rears are scuffed all the way to the edge and the front is 1/4 to 1/2" or so, and I've never dragged anything, not even scraped a toe slider. If your buddies are hanging off, then they would have less lean angle than you at the same speed, so if you are keeping up then you should be dragging pegs before they are.
ok not sure what you are implying??? I've never dragged a peg on the 636 and had almost no chicken strips before until I started commuting on my bike recently.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top