Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first track day and results were good. One thing I did notice is that I have shredded the OEM rear brake pedal and peg on my 06 ZX6R. Suspension was setup up for my weight by my motorcycle mechanic and it only happened twice during my 5/30min sessions but could that be a sign of my riding technique, suspension, or do I just need adjustable rear sets?

I definitely wasn't slow on the track though ha. Helps riding in the mountains of CO so you know what a turn looks like when you hit the track :)

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Wild guess with no pictures or proof would be body position. But I'd ask the other riders at the track day specifically the coaches and control riders.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Which track were you at? I know a lot of guys that ride at HPR that are amazing at giving advice. Most have at least a dozen years of MRA experience, including race and points wins, so they know what they're doing.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
If you're scraping your peg, you're leaning the bike too far. Lean the body first, then bring the bike to you. With your body off of the bike more, you lean the bike itself less to keep the same line through a turn. I made the same mistake on my first track day too, but my coaches saw it and corrected me. I did what they said and I didn't scrape anymore.

If your peg is really that bad and you plan to do more track days, then you have the excuse to get some aftermarket rearsets. I think you should work on your body position with the stockers first though.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

you gotta be leaning fucking far....or you've got bad form. I scrap my toes once in awhile but that's bc I know I was so late on the brakes I didn't get my toes up onto the footpeg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was HPR and I was thinking the same about not being over far enough body position wise those couple times it happened. Thanks for all the input, guess I'll figure it out on the track next time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yep, body position. Work on it and you will be faster. Was trying to work on my BP on my first intermediate trackday, ended up leaning too far and drug my shift lever and bent it pretty good. I had to hammer it back to close to normal and crashed the next session or one after that (it wasn't body position related but scraping hard parts unsettled me). Convinced me to really work on proper body position and I haven't had the problem again and I'm going faster.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Was it an off camber turn you were scraping it on? The ground was sloping down from the corner? Here is a pic from my 2nd track day with it sloping up and away from corner and if I scraped my peg here I'd be going down most likely. I need to work on body position as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Turn was exactly like yours man. Uphill and to the right.

Weird thing is that's prob the turn I'm off the bike the most on yet its the one I'm scraping metal and underneath the tips of my toes.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
ohhhhhh.....an 06 zx6r....

the 05-06 were notorious for scraping the brake foot pedel...fuck I used to drag that damn thing all the time. I actually ended up taking a grinder and ground it down even smaller then the pic you posted bc it pissed me off so much

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
need to work on body position as well.
yes you do...get lower on the gas tank and look over the handle bar more. You're "twisting" your body in compared to the bike. look at my arms compared to yours, as well as my head postion

·
Registered
216 Posts
yes you do...get lower on the gas tank and look over the handle bar more. You're "twisting" your body in compared to the bike. look at my arms compared to yours, as well as my head postion
Cool, I'll be working on that. Was your pic turn 3 at portland international? Bob takes pics at pir quite a bit. I need to work on turn 3 the most!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cool, I'll be working on that. Was your pic turn 3 at portland international? Bob takes pics at pir quite a bit. I need to work on turn 3 the most!
lol ya that was at PIR last month when I was down in cali getting my racebike. PIR is a pretty damn easy track to ride compared to the tracks they got in cali.

I found the key for turn 3 was to look at turn 4 line going into the sharp right. That was my 1st time at PIR and I was getting past guys in the 200 level no prob.:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
lol ya that was at PIR last month when I was down in cali getting my racebike. PIR is a pretty damn easy track to ride compared to the tracks they got in cali.

I found the key for turn 3 was to look at turn 4 line going into the sharp right. That was my 1st time at PIR and I was getting past guys in the 200 level no prob.:D
I could see that, too much straight away at PIR! 7,8, and 9 is pretty fun though. I am anxious to try the ridge motorsports park in Washington and Oregon raceway park a couple hours east of me. Both way more technical I hear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
try pushing/leaning off the bike more, to reduce lean angle. With less lean angle, you are able to get on the power earlier and harder.

Get aftermarket rearsets and raise your pegs.

raise your bikes ride height front and rear. (you will need an aftermarket shock, or a spacer in your shock perch)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is without a doubt your body position. You do not weight the inside peg enough... Do you also drag the left peg? Try focusing on your weight transfer while right hand cornering, load the right peg with the ball of foot or toes, slide your butt to the right until your left knee hooks the seat/tank and no weight is applied on your left foot. Tighten your abs and tuck toward your right. Open your right knee to touch and feel the tarmac, you will feel the angle of the bike... If you drag pegs, your weight transfer isn't right and you are leaning too far... DANGER. The secret of cornering is the knee to the ground, it should drag down way before pegs. I suggest you buy the book: "SPORT RIDING TECHNIQUES" and read it a couple of times.

Practice, practice and practice a lot!
Ride safe!

Hope that helped!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts