Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone yet scrapped there footpegs on their 636 i read somewhere that they are easy to scrape i dont want to do this but i would love to see someone ride this bike to the potential it has

·
Registered
141 Posts
i will get some pics of my buddies. He scraped his pegs and his brake pedal. We were at the dragon. You otta see his boots. damn they are messed up lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah i drop knee around pikeskill circle i ride up that way every sunday if you want to join us we go 301 55 well you know the twistys i ride with all gsxr's but no other kawis help me rep the kawi's iride full leathers

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just about. This past Saturday there was a BBQ at the local track, so we got to ride for a bit. I came to a really tight left hander, and the very edge of my foot was hanging JUUUUST of the peg, and it scraped. As soon as it happened I picked the bike back up since I had no idea I was that far over, and it scared me for a sec.

So technically, I didn't scrape the peg, but came millimeters away, and might have if I was expecting it and it didn't scare me.[8)]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, I tend to scrape my shoes alot when I ride around, I like to lean the bike over quite a bit, and it usually doesn't kick out on me to bad

·
28,939 Posts
this has been an issue i wanted to address as well... seems like every bike mag test this years claims the 636 has ground clearance problems... all of them are scraping pegs/brake levers. NONE of them had this problem last year during the tests though. i was under the impression that with your sag properly set that if you scrape a peg it wont be long till your draggin your ass down the road. i had a similar topic to this last year and the only people that scraped pegs were racers that went into turns too hot, and it puckered em up.

my question is whats changed? how are they dragin parts around the track this year and werent last year???

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you guys are trashing your boots you need to get the balls of your feet on the pegs when leaned over in turns. Best way to help yourself crash. Take a look at hosers avatar. That's proper foot position in a turn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you guys are trashing your boots you need to get the balls of your feet on the pegs when leaned over in turns.
Yep, I sure do...trashed the toe slider on my Sidi last time at the track [V] ....thought I had my foot positioned correctly but guess I need to work on tucking it in a little more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Isn't the purpose of feelers is to prevent your peg from hitting the ground and thus unsettling the rider? I guess removing the feeler would give more clearance, so scraping a peg probably would be a none issue. Can anyone clarify this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I heard that the stock position pegs are the same as rearsets, thats why i havent bought any, whats the point. If your dragging them ,somethins up, maybe suspension, although dragging your pegs my seem kool, its definately not a good thing. Be careful. I remeber when i used to drag the cases of my 97 gsxr 600 at willow, i thought i was the man, until someone told me how it was not a good thing. It was a suspension problem, fixed it, no problems ever again. JMHO

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have Sato rearsets on my bike. It is track only and has never touched anything down except my knees. You guys should seriously consider getting your butts off the seat more when burning curves. Peg feelers are telling you something!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Absolutely meaningless bs.

If you weigh 250 pounds you will scrape stuff all the time. If you weigh 125 you will seldom scrape.

Then throw in skills, lean angles, style and terrain and you have the rest of the variables.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you're 250lbs and you're scraping stuff all the time then you REALLY need to have your suspension setup. It doesn't matter how much you weigh, static sag should be set to the rider weight which means if you weigh 250lbs then the bike should be setup to accomodate a 250lb rider and therefore should be no scraping.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You can't set sag on a zx6r for a 250 pound rider without replacing the fork springs and shock spring. I agree that everyone should set their sag before they put a leg over their bike, though I doubt that half the riders do it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Set your sag, put on new springs front and rear if needed and you shouldn't be scraping the pegs. If you are, chances are very good you need to be hanging off the bike more and using less lean angle or you're not being smooth on your corner entry and are compressing the suspension more than it needs to be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.