Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, most of you know I just got my '03 636 3-4 weeks ago. So, as you can all guess, I'm still in the break-in period. Well, I've been keeping it under 4000 to be on the safe side but today I done screwed it all up.

Whenever I'm at a stoplight I always look behind me (being a paranoid newbie) just to see if anyone is uncomfortably close. I look directly behind me and there's no one but this approaching car to the lane beside me (on the right). So when he pulls up in his crap-ass Honda he starts rolling his car back and forth and revving his engine. I thought to myself... should I risk it and strain the engine? When the light turned he had a head start on me, so I went ahead and let him go on and I shifted at 4000 r.p.m. until I hit 4th gear.

By this time he was a good 2-3 car lengths ahead of me and I can hear his shitty exhaust through his shitty pipe struggling. Anyway, without even thinking about the break-in thing, I just ripped the fucking throttle open and shifted at 6000 r.p.m. I cruised beside him for a few seconds, flipped him off with my clutching hand, opened up the throttle and I was gone! I got up to 78 mph on a long residential road! This is, by far, the most exciting thing I've done on my bike since I've had it.

Now only to fight that urge until 1000 miles.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Your bike will be fine. You don't want to beat the shit out of it during break in, but you don't want to baby it too much either or it will be a dog.

My buddy's dad bought a Ducati Multistrata 1000S a week ago, and when he asked the dealer how to break it in, they smiled and said "Don't really need to. Just ride the thing."

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Hey Johnny77, after reading that article it made me feel a little better. Though I've heard so much about breaking the bike in that I'm damn confused. One thing I'm gonna do for sure though is to change the oil and filter this saturday. I don't think it will hurt, I've got 200 miles on the bike now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I got mine two weeks ago, I have about 600 miles on it, changed the oil after 200, shifts much better, feels better and by the way don't trip out when you see all the metal shavings in the oil, I was like damn I am glad I am changing the oil. Don't use synthetic oil by the way because your engine is still breaking in, I suggest that you wait at least till you have more than 1200 miles on it so that you can switch. I am not sure what kind of synthetic oil to use but I hear mobil is recommended by most people here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.