Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an FYI post. I was having a problem where my bike wouldn't rev past 4000 rpms. I checked all the vacume lines first and they were fine. Then I drained the gas and replaced with fresh petro. No change. Next I replaced the fuel filter(16bux from kawi dealer, ouch!) Well the bike then would rev to only 8000. Right then I new I was going to have to clean the carbs out. Well I am a landscaper and work 60 hours a week and didn't feel like doing the work. I have had good luck in the past with seafoam in my trucks so I decided to give it a try. The can only cost 8 bux. Despite what the kawi stealer told me it absolutly worked like a charm.

I poured 1/3 of the can in a cup and let the fuel filter line suck it up. I poured another 1/3 of the can in the tank, and poured the last 1/3 devided equally down each of the 4 carbs. I let it run for a few minutes and shut it off for 5. When I started it back up it smoked like all hell for a few more minutes but it reved all the way to redline. I took it out for a ride and it still had a slight off idle hesitation for a few miles but went away. I could not be more happy with SEAFOAM and I just thought I would share my experiance to mabey help others.

I still plan on pulling the carbs and throughly cleaning them this winter when I have more time but Instead of spending my only free time of the week cleaning out all 4 carbs I got to flog the shizzle out of my bike instead:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad to hear you found an easy fix for now. I have had excellent results with seafoam and would recomment it to anybody. I recently found out that they offer it in an aerosol can which is super sweet. They actually market the aerosol version as a penetrating lube but it is the same awesome stuff and even says so on the bottle. I noticed that recently advance has started selling it as well which makes it even easier to find as before it was kind of difficult to locate. Anyhow, I just wanted to +1 on the good review for seafoam

·
Registered
164 Posts
I never had until a couple years ago. I heard of it on a nissan forum. Since I discovered it I have used it exclusively for things such as removing carbon deposits from combustion chambers and cleaning fuel systems. Try it and I am quite positive you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This stuff is great. I started using it when I worked at Advance Auto Parts about 3 years ago. Anytime someone had a fuel problem I ALWAYS recommended a new filter and a can of seafoam. 99% of the time it did the trick. Here locally, Advance, Autozone, O'Rielly, and Napa all carry it in stock. This stuff not only cleans but it does also lubricates all the moving parts in you fuel system. Best cleaner I have ever used.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So can you just add it to the fuel tank, or do you need to dump it into the carbs too? I've never had my bike apart enough to get to the carbs...is this a lot of work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
You could just pour some into your fuel tank. No need to dump some in your carbs unless you are have some serious probs. Then you may consider having the carbs professionally cleaned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i never heard of seafoam...i took my bike in to get the carbs cleaned...it bogged out after 8000 rpm. got it back and runs great at high rpm..but what caught my attention was when u mentioned off idle hesitation. my bike started doing that when i got it back and does it off and on...how long did it take before this went away?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.