Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a er6n and man any rides longer than a ride around town and my butt is numb...I've searched the forums but haven't found much for recommendations atleast for my specific bike but has anyone swapped out their seat? And if so what'd you get and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi there, I remember a few guys in here talking about Corbin seats - I would recommend finding a local craftsman for a custom fit or even try an Air Hawk cushion if you only need the extra comfort for tours or longer rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you end up being unable to find something, I had the same problem on my 2018 Ninja 650 and ended up buying an OEM seat off eBay, a $10 gel pad off AliExpress, some cushioning foam, and a replacement seat cover from Luimoto and just DIY’d my own. There’s a few YouTube tutorials on how to add a gel pad to an OEM seat and it’s just an hour or so trimming space in the foam with a razor but I can say that the results have been really positive. Seat is very comfortable and the Luimoto seat looks unique compared to the drab black marine vinyl factory cover.

All in I think I probably paid 250CDN.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks littlejackal, I'll keep that in mind as well! Just curious why'd you end up buying another OEM seat instead of just altering your original?

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
13 Posts
If you end up being unable to find something, I had the same problem on my 2018 Ninja 650 and ended up buying an OEM seat off eBay, a $10 gel pad off AliExpress, some cushioning foam, and a replacement seat cover from Luimoto and just DIY’d my own. There’s a few YouTube tutorials on how to add a gel pad to an OEM seat and it’s just an hour or so trimming space in the foam with a razor but I can say that the results have been really positive. Seat is very comfortable and the Luimoto seat looks unique compared to the drab black marine vinyl factory cover.

All in I think I probably paid 250CDN.
LJ, Would you mind sharing some pics of the seat? I'm interested in possibly doing the same modification.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks littlejackal, I'll keep that in mind as well! Just curious why'd you end up buying another OEM seat instead of just altering your original?
When I do something destructive to a seat I tend to like backup options. If I botched carving the foam or it came out awful and unusable I’d need to replace it. Partzilla/dealer prices for new OEM seats are pretty unappealing so when I saw a part-out seat on ebay I jumped on it. You can absolutely use yours if you feel comfortable, I just know my past experience with upholstery in general is pretty hit or miss :)

LJ, Would you mind sharing some pics of the seat? I'm interested in possibly doing the same modification.
Yeah absolutely, give me a second to find the ones I took on and off the bike and I’ll post a follow-up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t have any in-progress photos, but I do have my stock seat vs the luimoto cover which covers a plastic waterproofing wrap, a layer of felt, and under that is a cutout containing my cheap gel pad:

The material against my rear is way more rubbery and tactile than the stock seat which is great for adhesion and preventing slides on accel/decel, but the sides are faux CF and PU leather so my legs can still move freely. The stripe is suede which I’m a little concerned about but at under $200 if this lasts me five or six years it’ll be a good investment.

And the final product:

You may or may not be able to see a little wrinkling. It looked great off the bike but after it settled I noticed it needed to be tightened. I took it off the bike, pulled staples on one side, pulled everything tighter and re-stapled, then repeated for the other side. I didn’t bother to take new photos so you’ll have to take my word for it that it’s cleaner looking now :)

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650
13 Posts
@littlejackal , thanks for sharing the pics. That looks awesome! You've definitly given me some inspiration. I'll check out some YouTube videos to get a sense for how involved this may be. Might be a good winter project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! No problem, happy to help. Luimoto actually has a video of the process:

If you reuse the factory cover you can obviously staple that back on, or if you pick up some replacement marine vinyl then you’d just need to do a little work to cut and trim as you staple. Probably good videos out there on that as well but since I bought the cover pre-made I didn’t bother researching.

I’d say the most annoying and time consuming part is making sure that the hole you cut is just the right depth for your gel pad. I was off a little, cut a little deep and ended up cutting a square of felt to make up the depth difference. No harm done, just be prepared to improvise if you make a mistake or two.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks for all the information and photos as they are super helpful. That totally makes sense as to why you picked up another OEM seat.

I've called around and I'm getting estimates for like $350 for them to add a gel pad and recover with the original cover, and about $100 cheaper if they just trim some of the original foam around the pressure points.

I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the bike if I'm not 100% sure how long I'll have it. I really do like the bike but it does worry me that it was only made in the U.S. for a few years in terms of parts, etc. Or what's everyone's opinions? Do I need to worry about shortage of parts and is keeping a bike no longer made in the U.S. silly or am I semi safe since they still make it in Europe?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
124 Posts
Wow thanks for all the information and photos as they are super helpful. That totally makes sense as to why you picked up another OEM seat.

I've called around and I'm getting estimates for like $350 for them to add a gel pad and recover with the original cover, and about $100 cheaper if they just trim some of the original foam around the pressure points.

I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the bike if I'm not 100% sure how long I'll have it. I really do like the bike but it does worry me that it was only made in the U.S. for a few years in terms of parts, etc. Or what's everyone's opinions? Do I need to worry about shortage of parts and is keeping a bike no longer made in the U.S. silly or am I semi safe since they still make it in Europe?

Thanks everyone!
The ER6N was only made for a few years because the US called the Faired Version the Ninja 650 and the ER6N was renamed the Z650 later, trust me there is plenty of aftermarket and used parts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put a Corbin on my ER-6n. It was expensive, but I have no issues riding for 8hr days with it. I have an '09 who's original factory seat I'd liken to torture after 30 mins. of riding. Riding pads, recovers and most anything you can do to these seats will most likely be an improvement.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
124 Posts
I put a Corbin on my ER-6n. It was expensive, but I have no issues riding for 8hr days with it. I have an '09 who's original factory seat I'd liken to torture after 30 mins. of riding. Riding pads, recovers and most anything you can do to these seats will most likely be an improvement.
I have the 09-11 seat too and imo it's not that bad, true ur ass starts hurting if you're in jeans or thin trousers but if you wear a leather bottom like a 2 piece with thick leather on the bum, I've done 8hr+ too with no real problems. Your ass starts to go numb after 4hrs but not so bad that standing up for a minute or taking a quick break won't fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts