Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under race conditions is it advantageous to remove the secondary butterfly's? I have an 06 636 w/ full pipe and pc3 otherwise stock motor, and how do i remove them??...i notice a servo on right side of throttle bodies, thx Brian

·
Registered
307 Posts
It gives you acouple hp at over 11,000 rpm. Take air box off and stuff a rag under the butterfly plate and and unscrew the 2 small screws and thats it. Don't worry about the servo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about on a zx-10? I have a friend that did it and he said it makes a lot of difference.Don't you remove the whole assembly instead of just the blades?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
6racermp, i am defineately interested in your results...If you pick up any horsepower and with your tune dont lose the smoothness of the power delivery i am doing this as well.
was already planning on doing the thinner headgasket and degreeing the cams in. so hell why not this as well.

·
Registered
659 Posts
jdgun 13, I'll definitely post up the results. They're also putting in a program called RapidBike2, its kind of like a European power commander but it can also change the ignition timing and raise the redline. The shop is waiting on the adjustable cam gears, so the bike should be ready by Tuesday of next week. I won't get it til' Wednesday, but as soon as I have the dyno results I'll throw them up. Should be impressive!

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yeah i keep hearing there is a kit race intake cam, but have yet to get anything solid on it and f it is worth anything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FYI, it's a little vague according to the CCS rules if this is even legal for supersport.

Per the rulebook:
"6.1.2.E.6 - Carburetor bodies and/or throttle bodies may not be modified, bored, or polished"

I don't see any mention in the WERA rulebook under Superstock about modifying the TB's.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just got off the phone with BRG. He's been searching and he can't find any adjustable cam gears for the 05 636. The 6rr has adjustable cam gears but he said they're a different part number than the 6r. So, he's going to check the cam timing on the 6r and see if its around optimum. If not, he's going to make my gears adjustable, and then change the timing. He's also cleaning up where the throttle bodies hit the intake, there's a large lip thats causing a lot of turbulence. I'll post up some pics later today and show you guys what he's talking about. He said cleaning it up should be worth about 3hp, and its probably a common defect on the 6r's.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Hoping to hear from you man, as i am looking to get into doing some head work adn pulling the bike apart in another couple weeks...

as of now, headgasket, degree the cams (which i am told are slotted already)and cleaning up the head of flash and other casting deficiences

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yea I am just waiting on the shop, they should be done monday or tuesday and I'll have the bike Wednesday. Unfortunately, our cam gears aren't slotted. My shop thought they were too, then they got into the motor and called me like, "uhh, we ran into some trouble." They are on the 6rr but not the 636. They used to be on the 636 up til' 05' then for some reason they made them non adjustable. So, you might want to look into the 6rr cam gears, if they'll fit on our motors, as I don't know if they will. As soon as I get the bike back with dyno sheets I'll post up the results.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Use the rr cam gears on the 636 cams so you can degree them. Also if you want a couple more ponies on top use the rr intake cam it has about 5 degrees more duration and .005 more lift. On the rr use the 636 exhaust cam it will give you 8 degrees more duration .008 more lift. Info is from kawi's engine builder. He's taught me lots of tricks that really work on the track and in the real world we ride in. Also he says the stock air filter made 1.5 more hp on the dyno than a after market filter.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
yep only reason to buy an aftermarket air filter, reusability. Kinda funny as i knew that after 2 weeks of having the bike after talking to Dan Kyle....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Damn, didn't know you could just throw the rr cam gears in, oh well, too late now. Well, BRG is still working on my bike, they were having trouble degreeing the stock cams gears (they slotted the gears themselves) and should have the bike done Friday. I'm really anxious to get it back and feel how radically different the bike is, as the last time I rode it the motor/exhaust was stock!!!

jd- willf has the 6rr cams and even the 6rr tranny if you want em. Shoot him a PM and let him know I sent ya if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
well shit manm, i have a guy her ein new york with the kawasaki intake race cam, for $170.00 so i am thinking i will pick it up and the rest, i can do myself, but am thinkning i woulndt mind bumping the redline to 15,000RPM

·
Registered
659 Posts
Okay guys-- the bike is still not done, so I don't have any results yet to post for everyone. I'm so anxious I can't freaking sleep at night, like a little kid on x-mas. Plus I'm a nervous wreck becuase I NEED the bike for Tuesday- I have a tryout to become an instructor for CA Superbike School! So now the bike should be done Monday (if I'm lucky) then I gotta put in some work Monday night fitting plastics and what not. Anyway, as soon as I have the bike I'll post up a ride report and the dyno sheets for everyone to check out...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by Bret The Ripper
Good Luck! Maybe I will get to see that bike in action this spring at thunder hill. Im assuming you race AFM?
thanks for the good thoughts, i'm going to need the luck if my bike's going to be ready on time! And, yes you will definitely get to see the bike in action next season, I'm hoping to make all AFM rounds next year. Will you only be making it to the T-Hill rounds? I know its like 8 and a half hours to B-willow for you and thats not exactly pennies in gas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.