Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed but i want some new opinions. NYC has some of the highest statistics for motorcycle theft in the country. I dont remember the source but I heard bikes on avg stay in their owners hands 9 months before they get stolen.

With that said, what do you use to lock up your bike. Im looking for the best lock on the market and it would be nice if the portability was good. I currently use kryptonites ground shackle paired with an onguard brute U-lock and an onguard disk lock. When i do leave the bike on the street i used the U-lock to shackle the bike to a parking sign through the fork.

Im considering a disk lock with an alarm...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You can't make it impossible, just not worth the trouble. If what you are doing doesn't work I would move!

·
Registered
85 Posts
A lock is only as strong as the thing it's locked to.

It's pretty easy to cut through the pole of a parking sign.

There's a youtube video of thieves picking up a CBR and throwing it in the back of a van.

If someone wants your unattended bike, very little you can do about it if it's parked on the street.

Good luck.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Get the new Scorpio Rlink Alarm. That's what I'm getting. Just waiting for them to stock. It was supposed to be out last month but they say they are shipping them to resellers now. As long you got a pager system alarm with GPS, your all set. I can't see how someone could get away with stealing that bike. Unless they were some pro you'd see in a movie... I used to know people who stole bikes when I was younger. The only alarm worth having is a pager system with Lojack but that's too expensive, now Scorpio has the new pager alarm system that has GPS on it. So your set.

I think I know the chain your talking about. It's that rediculous gold brass color chain that is HUUUUUUGE! It's the biggest chain links I've ever seen in my life! Where do you chain that too? You have to put it through the frame or somthing because if you put it through the wheel the thieves can just remove the wheel.

[EDIT] So much for your Kryptonite chain -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlHurdm48XQ&feature=related

·
Registered
594 Posts
i have the gorilla alarm system on my biek with the pager system. Its great tool to have for your bike. Cool thing is that it alerts your when you bike is being toyed with. when you get the page it haul ass to your bike...

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 on scorpio

got the scorpio sri900 alarm and it tells me just abouut anything that could happen to my bike. I too was real real realy paranoid about my gettn stolen but as long as you are relatively close to your bike and dont park it at movie theaters or on the street for long amount of times, you should be alright if you have the alarm.

once again, if someone wants to steal it bad enough they will. your best protection is insurance.

i know this kinda corny but i am hooking up my led accent lights to my bike this week and will have it hooked up to my alarm as well. so if its at night and someone screws with it, it will be a glowing noisemaker..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Be wary of a Xena alarmed disc lock. Many people, including myself, have problems with the alarm going off for no reason. Xena discuss adjusting sensitivity by positioning it differently on the disc but it doesn't seem to make much difference :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get the new Scorpio Rlink Alarm. That's what I'm getting. Just waiting for them to stock. It was supposed to be out last month but they say they are shipping them to resellers now. As long you got a pager system alarm with GPS, your all set. I can't see how someone could get away with stealing that bike. Unless they were some pro you'd see in a movie... I used to know people who stole bikes when I was younger. The only alarm worth having is a pager system with Lojack but that's too expensive, now Scorpio has the new pager alarm system that has GPS on it. So your set.
Well that's annoying. I just bought the i900 a month ago, and now they come out with a new one with a GPS and texting. :Damn:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm gps alarm ill look into it. honestly though unless you have concealed carry you running out to your bike being jacked is going to do what?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The first two things I bought after I got my bike were the scorpio system and Lojack. Whats it cost and whats it worth? One deters and prevents, the other recovers.

In addition to deterring theft, the scorpio also acts as a paging system to let you know whats up. My brother has had his bike knocked over 3 times and all 3 times the scorpio went off alarming not only the people around but himself as well so he could run out from wherever he was and catch the people who did it.

If cash is tight, I'd go with the scorpio only cause it's roughly $400 cheaper.

hmm gps alarm ill look into it. honestly though unless you have concealed carry you running out to your bike being jacked is going to do what?
I'd imagine that the people stealing your bike would drop whatever they're doing and run at the sight of you. Guess it depends on where you are, where in Brooklyn are you? I hope it isn't Flatbush :p

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first two things I bought after I got my bike were the scorpio system and Lojack. Whats it cost and whats it worth? One deters and prevents, the other recovers.

In addition to deterring theft, the scorpio also acts as a paging system to let you know whats up. My brother has had his bike knocked over 3 times and all 3 times the scorpio went off alarming not only the people around but himself as well so he could run out from wherever he was and catch the people who did it.

If cash is tight, I'd go with the scorpio only cause it's roughly $400 cheaper.

I'd imagine that the people stealing your bike would drop whatever they're doing and run at the sight of you. Guess it depends on where you are, where in Brooklyn are you? I hope it isn't Flatbush :p
run at the sight of me, lmao, they probably would if i was carrying an AK-47.

The problem is though that no one pays attention to alarms. Ive even seen people video tape bike theft and they'd be commenting "oh this guys been trying to steal this bike for like 10 min now"... ill stick with a lock

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's why I don't depend solely on my alarm.

IMO you have to have layers of security on bikes since they're so easy to steal.

I have the alarm to keep the honest people and petty criminals away, a lock to keep the normal criminals away, and theft insurance to keep the serious ones away.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why I don't depend solely on my alarm.

IMO you have to have layers of security on bikes since they're so easy to steal.

I have the alarm to keep the honest people and petty criminals away, a lock to keep the normal criminals away, and theft insurance to keep the serious ones away.
wish i could have the third one. it just adds 2k to my premium

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
wish i could have the third one. it just adds 2k to my premium
You serious? I don't live in a high theft area, but I have comprehensive and collision on my bike for only like $16 a month through progressive.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts