Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think the front brake caliper might be seized. not my ninja, but my LTD550. I got it for free, and when i went to change the brake pads, the brake piston would not move. i even tried hitting it with a cloth covered mallet, but i can't get it to budge. i have to push it back to get the new brake pads on. any suggestions?

btw, i think the reason why the caliper is messed up is because the brakes were near locked up in the front, and the dumb fuck who had the bike before me just rode it like that, and pretty much destroyed the front rotor and pads. so could that have affected the caliper too? probably from all that heat right?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

the caliper is off the bike but its still jammed. it 22 years old too...........

can i get it rebuilt by a dealer or something for cheap? or would it be better to just replace it from a salvage yard?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, if you can get the piston apart, its really easy to rebuild.
All you need is the Piston seal, the piston dust seal, a drill, and a brake hone.

Take apart the piston, lightly hone the inside of the caliper bore with the hone, rinse it out with clean brake fluid, clean up any burrs on the outside of the piston with sandpaper, replace the piston seal, install the dust seal and then install the piston.

Then all you have to do is refill the brake line with fresh fluid, and bleed the brake.

BC.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where can i get a dust seal and piston seal? I have a 75 gold wing that I might be able to part out for it. hmmmm

but if that doesn't work, will the Honda dealer have them?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have no idea if Honda uses the same parts. Its entirely possible, but I wouldn't count on that.
You can easily go to your local Kawasaki dealer, and they can get you the two parts you need.
Here's the part numbers:

RING,PISTON SEAL- 43049-002 (number changed to 43049-1098)
DUST SEAL,PISTON- 49006-1043
DISC,FR,SILVER- 41080-1127 (just in case you need a new front rotor)

Piston seal is $4.25 and the Dust seal is $3.95 at http://www.ronayers.com
BC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.