Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first off, is it legal to sell your custom maps to others? I don't see why it wouldn't be......

The reason I ask is because I think that this would be a great way for people to share their custom maps with others, which (a) saves others paying for custom maps work to be done on their bike, and (b) contributes to the costs outlayed by the person who actually spent the money getting the map done. Everybody wins.

For instance, say someone is selling their custom map for $10 per person, if it is a good map and 20 people buy it, they have recouped a considerable amount of their dyno bill.

This is just a suggestion, so feel free to shoot me down regarding practicality and/or legality.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Its legal since you own it... Its kind of an asshole thing to do to your fellow riders though, considering its not a custom map for anyone else but your application/engine. If you're gonna share it, post it like some other users here have, or even better, submit it to the DynoJet site.

Not to mention if you sell it to someone and they end up blowing their engine due to an excessively lean condition (high altitude to low), they will likely come back to you whining... If you're gonna be serious and try to generate some extra ponies, you might as well do it right.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Honestly it makes sense to me...BUUUUUUUUUUT
everyone seems to think shit is free online,especially on forums.

I paid $300.00 for my MAP for my 2005 ZX6R with mods and needless to say i have given it to at least 6 people for free.
personally i am a pass it forward kinda guy.
yeah it sucks paying the money but some people dont have the same disposalable cash, but it would be nice for a thank you or something...not just a get it and fuck off.
i had 2 people say thank you, and responsed with results as asked.
always wanting feedback...
Oh well

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I'm not sure about the legality, but I think it would kinda defeat the purpose of a custom map. Every bike is different, even with the same exact aftermarket parts. Another persons map may work pretty good, but it won't be perfect. I think the location will affect the map too. A guy who got his done up in the mountains will have different settings than at sea level. I've never gotten a custom map done so I'm not sure how it works. For those of you that have, do you actually buy the rights to that map? If so, I think you should be able to do whatever you want with it. I know with cars (at least with mine) the company requires you to come into one of their dealers to get a performance program flashed into your cars ecu so that the map is protected from piracy or some shit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
regarding "custom map is for speicifc bike argument": sure, its setup for YOUR bike, but it is at least a step in the right direction (assuming that you are using the same atmospheric conditions and setup). There are plenty of people out there that will attest that others' maps have worked on their mosheens.

regarding "paying vs free": dont get me wrong, free is great. But a tiny little contribution to "the cause" that is not gonna break the bank would make people feel better about offering up their worked maps to fellow riders.

regarding "blowing up their bike": obviously this sort of stuff is always "use at your own risk". so long as the specs for conditions etc are all correctly stated, then you have only yourself to blame. You could potentially get the map verified by a willing third party that has other maps to compare it against.

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion so keep the opinions flowing guys!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just to add a little to the discussion and I may be completely wrong, but isn't most "use at your own risk" stuff given away for free? I mean $10 or $100, if I buy something I'm expecting something in return from the other person by way of feedback or whatever if I call them up and say "I messed up my bike with YOUR map, how about a little help here?" and in return I get "Well sorry about your bike but I told you it was use at your own risk...".

I think if you were really hot to trot about selling your map to recoup costs a better idea would be along the lines of shareware or freeware software. It's "free" but you are expected to donate money if you use it and like it or use continuely for a certain number of days.

That way when people do blow up their engine, they aren't going to come back at you because it was free and "used at their own risk" and when people love your map and it really helps them, if they can afford to, they will chip in some bucks to "the cause".

I really wouldn't want to risk the liability involved should people start blowing engines for a $10 map I sold. Not worth the hassle. I think by calling it "freeware" or "shareware" you could absolve yourself from this liability.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the reason for the suggestion was just to get more riders interested in sharing their stuff. I think the donation idea is a good one. I know if I used someone's custom map and it made an improvement on my previous setup, I would be more than happy to show my appreciation with a little coin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.