Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a used 2000zx9r w/20,000 mi about 2 months ago. Bike has been well cared for and could just be showing age now, but could also be neglect. Either way something's wrong.

So about a month after i got it, go to crank in garage before riding one day and it turns over a few times but then starts to die, clock resets and eventually it's a straight clicking noise just like when a battery dies. Take it to kawaski dealer and get new battery as the one in the bike is the original which amazed the kawasaki guys. Put new battery in, she starts right up and does so for a while thereafter which leads to today.

Noticed some hardstarting recently and even backfires out of exhaust while trying to start sometimes. Well i get into town, luckily to where one of my buddies works and when i go to leave, same thing as what happened in my garage, only i know this can't be the battery as i put a new one. Bike tries to start at first and then it gets gradually and gradually weaker to where the battery doesn't even have enough juice to turn it over. Buddy gave me a push start and rode her home just fine, didn't stall at intersections or hesitate or anything, but when i get her in the garage, cut off and try to restart her, barely turns over.

So what now??????Could it possibly be the starter?? Something smaller??I am not mechanically inclined so i'm going to probably have to take it to the Kawi dealer and they may try to rape me, but i'm hoping it's nothing too expensive. What do you guys think about everything? Did i buy a $4,000 piece? Again the bike is gorgeous and very well cared for, tons of upgrades with chrome, led lights and the works. She rides like a champ once started. Something is draining the battery....and i don't know where to start which is why i'm in need of some serious direction. Sorry for writing so much, but i'm a little frustrated and also needed to vent, lol. Thanks for all you guy's input.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Maybe the rectifier?

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Sounds like a charging problem, it's going to end up costing you just to have it looked at. I know when I worked in the dealership there was a flat $100 just to look at an elec. problem on the bike, then it was the usual $70/hr from there plus parts.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
sounds like the rectifier, i had the same problem with my cbr F2. it couldnt keep a charge for more than a week without being put on the tender. then like you said, sometimes id have to jump start it but when id get back home and try to start it again like 5 minutes later there was nothing.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I'll make this simple. There are three major components in a charging system.

1) The stator/AC generator

2) The regulator/rectifier (on older bikes they were separate components)

3) The battery

Charging system quick check:

Put a multimeter on the battery terminals and measure surface voltage (It should be between 13.2vcd and 12.4vdc)

With the leads still connected, crank the engine over and observe the voltage drop (does it go below 10vdc?)

If you can get the bike started and running check charging out put. It should be around 14.4vdc then drop gradually. (at idle)

Checking the stator:

There are three wires coming out of the stator (usually yellow but sometimes white)
Test the wires with your meter set to AC 100 volt scale (or 200, what ever your meter has)
Test T1-T2, T1-T3, T2-T3 (basically test in a triangular pattern) You should get about 25 vac at idle +/- 3 volts. If you rev the bike the voltage should approach 100 vac
If on phase is significantly lower than the others, It is internally shorted. If there is no output it's open. If all well, move to the rectifier.

Checking the rectifier:

You will need to use the diode function on the meter and test the diode bridge. I'm not going to go into this because you are smart and have your manual handy. ;)
If there is no output from the reg/rec check the ground. It may be corroded. If the ground is good and there is still no (or little) output, then one or more of the diodes is burned.
Replace rectifier.

They should sticky that or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, one of my buddies who's a little more knowledgeable about fixing bikes is gonna help me this weekend. He seems to think it could be the rectifier or stator along with what everyone else is saying as that happened to his bike as well. I did not charge the battery completely before using it as i had to install and go from the shop as the old one was too dead to even restart the bike. My buddy has a charger as well. Guy at the shop told me that the battery should charge itself up if i ride for a few hours, but i guess if the rectifier/stator is bad then that didn't happen.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Thanks guys, one of my buddies who's a little more knowledgeable about fixing bikes is gonna help me this weekend. He seems to think it could be the rectifier or stator along with what everyone else is saying as that happened to his bike as well. I did not charge the battery completely before using it as i had to install and go from the shop as the old one was too dead to even restart the bike. My buddy has a charger as well. Guy at the shop told me that the battery should charge itself up if i ride for a few hours, but i guess if the rectifier/stator is bad then that didn't happen.
Remember, you have all the weapons you need in your arsinal to diag a charging problem in post #5. No need to waste time in guessing what it is, find it, repair it, and verify it. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
when you burn a rectifier it smells like cotton candy 2nd sometimes you get bad batteries even if they are new. but more then likely rectifier

1 - 9 of 9 Posts