Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a rather strange problem. When Im in gear and I hit 9500 rpm my headlights go out!!!! wtf???? They ONLY come back on when the engin is slowed down to 3000rpm like magic they come back on. Weather on hi beams or low beams if you hit 9500+ rpm the lights go out systematicaly !!! This has nothing to do with a loose conection. Figured it could have been the alarm, had that torn out and still freaking does it. Never misses, you hit 9500 or more,.. bye bye lights pull clutch in let the revs drop they come back on!!! freaking crazy hun????? So I dont really want to take it to the dealer just yet so they can have run reving the shit out of the bike like a zillion times so they can watch the lights go out and come back on..

Its a major pain in the ass. Your riding at night and a car or other bikes tries to have fun with you and you open her up a little and boom.. no more lights!!!! It has done this since bran new.. did not notice it at first since I didnt bring the revs up so high.. now i live past 9k so it has become a problem...
The only lights that go out are the headlights, nothing else. if on high beam the little blue hi beam indicator light will go out as the hi beams go out. Guy I need help with this..

Perhaps a computer problem????

·
Registered
857 Posts
shoulda taken it in to the dealer right away, i assume your still under warranty take it back and get them to fix it, if it's your ECU they'll have to replace it, thats one weird ass problem tho never herd of anything like it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Okay i am gonna break out a couple stupid questions here...have you taken it to the dealer yet? and do you still have warranty?if your warranty is still good let the stealer find the problem!!!!:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
It sounds like a vibration problem, something is reacting to a harmonic (for want of a better word) at those revs. It might just be a loose cable though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looks like you have some troubleshooting on your hands. A number of things come to mind, but I myself couldn't pinpoint it just from your description.

Try hooking up a simple lightbulb to some wire and run it to the fuse box. Attach it to the headlight circut and get rolling. Does the light go out? If so, your problem is somewhere behind the fuse box if it does not go out, there may be something wrong with the harness, the bulbs, or the common ground that they both connect to. I don't know why they would do that at 9500... maybe vibration.... who knows.

Maybe it's related to the starter circuit. You know the feature that keeps the headlights off until you release the starter button? If it has done that since day one (or first run up to 9500), maybe it was miswired from the factory. I can't tell you which circuit it's connect to that's cutting power at 9500 and restoring it at 3000.... that's just very strange.

Hope that helps. Damn, good luck figuring that one out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know they arent the same but on snowmobiles when the headlight goes out like yours it almost always is the voltage regulator or a bad ground

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
under warranty but i dont want pretend mechanics reving the shit out of my bike all day to watch lights go out and come back on.. A little while ago, the super mechanic over there couldent even tell me how to take the gas tank off, figured it out myself.
What a stupid ass problem..... could you imagin my surprise when it happened to me the first few times?
I was like WTF WTF WTF?

And NOT a vibration problem.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Take it to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. If you think your local dealer is a dimwit, take it to a better one. Troubleshooting electrical crap is a major PITA.

·
Registered
857 Posts
hes about 6 hours away from her so i don't think that will work [:p]

·
Registered
718 Posts
At least yours doesn't go off until 9500. Mine went out one night while riding(next to cop no less) and hasn't worked since. A friend and I went through the circuit, and saw there was no power after the relay. We took his out, put it on my bike, and it worked. I took it to the dealer, told them it needed a new relay, and to find out why it went out. They replaced the relay, but it went back out on the way home. Took it back two weeks later, they had it for almost two weeks and didn't even look at it, and I needed it back this past Saturday, so I took it back. I'm probably going to drop it back off tomorrow, and either hope they can't fix it two more times, or it stays there over a month. I'll take another bike with 4k less miles.:D

Soooo, at least you can ride at night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.