Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the best place (meaning quick delivery, good price, decent customer service, etc.) is to get Kawi service manuals?

I just bought an '02 zx6-r with 20k miles and I don't imagine it's had a valve adjustment in a while. I've done valve adjustments on Honda cars before.

Does anyone know how difficult a valve adjustment is on a zx6-r compared to an import car?

Thanks!

Jacob

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
The only place I know where to get a service manual is from a certified dealer or online. When I ordered mine, I think Kawasaki shipped it to the dealer, but I actually don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info thanks!

I called 4 dealers in Houston today and none of them had it in stock. Guess I'll order from buykawasaki.com.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's definitely more complicated than adjusting clearances on Honda/Acura engines. They don't use shims - there is some sort of mechanism that allows you to adjust the clearance between the tappet and the cam with a pair of screws per valve. One screw adjusts the clearance and the other one locks everything into place - it's really easy but it looks hard core with the cams exposed.

I wonder how much a set of shims costs.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by jacko
That's definitely more complicated than adjusting clearances on Honda/Acura engines. They don't use shims - there is some sort of mechanism that allows you to adjust the clearance between the tappet and the cam with a pair of screws per valve. One screw adjusts the clearance and the other one locks everything into place - it's really easy but it looks hard core with the cams exposed.

I wonder how much a set of shims costs.
The screw style adjusters are easier,but less accurate and need to be adjusted more often.
Shifts are a few dollars a piece, but many dealers will swap you for your old ones for low to no fee, the old ones are still perfectly good, you just need a different size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Thanks again for the info. I just ordered the manual from buykawasaki.com. $75 shipped. A little steep for a book, but I'm sure it will be worth it if it's complete and written in decent english.

Can't wait to get it and break out my feeler gauges. :D :D :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got this webpage off the computer while an associate at a dealership had his back turned.

www.Buykawasaki.com

they ordered me an owners manual off it and jacked the price up. i ended up goin home, orderin it myself and then cancelin my order from the dealership. saved me some bills. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by 02kawizx-6
I got this webpage off the computer while an associate at a dealership had his back turned.

www.Buykawasaki.com

they ordered me an owners manual off it and jacked the price up. i ended up goin home, orderin it myself and then cancelin my order from the dealership. saved me some bills. ;)
buykawasaki isn't some secret site, it's kawi's site to sell all their accessories, there are links right on the make kawasaki.com site :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My service manual came in today. This is the first paperback book I've been happy to pay $70 for.

The information in here is FAR superior to anything I've ever seen from Chilton or Haynes.

I'll be checking my valve clearances this weekend. Thanks for all the responses!

jacob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.