Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, when I bought my 2011 ZX6R, I was offered options for different "service plans". Unlike extended warranties that cover things that break, these plans were basically one-time fees that would pay for any and all regular maintenance/service the bike would need during the time period stated in the plan you bought For example, if I purchased the 3 year plan, it would cover all fluid changes, adjustments, etc that would take place during those 3 years, according to the service schedule in the user manual. The one-time cost is quite a bit less than adding up each individual service visit, but it is still a substantial amount of money.

My questions to all of you are:
Is it imperative to bring your bike to a dealer for all of it's service (especially when the bike is still new and under warranty)? Or, can a mechanically savvy person with the right tools perform these services? Have any of you purchased one of these plans before and if so, do you have any comments as to how well (or not) it worked out?

Most of you seem like DIY folks, as am I, but where I have never worked on a motorcycle before (just cars and atvs), I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i got the service plan wrapped into my loan. worst fucking money i have ever spent. i do not even let them change my oil (for free) anymore because they can even do that efficiently or cleanly. i was using them for free tire changes but even that was taking a two day turn around.... so i stopped.

kawi will give you a 6 month or year warrantly (cant remeber which) if your bike is defective it will show up with in that time frame. Truthfully I can not think of any adjustments that you could not make yourself if the bike stays under 15-18k miles in the first 3 years.

though i am prolly the wrong person to speak on this subject because i feel so so burnt on purchasing the service plan. i seriously do not know what i was thinking when i bought it. what i cant fix i know one or two people who could. nothing bonds men together like mechanic days in someone's garage.

if you are one of those pussified young'ings that cant change a tire, change brake pads or use a socket wrench then yes it might be worth your time, otherwise man up and save money.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wouldn't buy a service plan on a bike. I by used bikes and tinker with them myself (only been into bikes 1 year and no wrenching experience) I've found Aprialia/Suzuki/Wera forums invaluable when I can't figure out how to repair something.
I state my issue, post detailed images or video & help finds its way to me.
Only time I take my bikes to shop is when I'm in a hurry to have tires mounted & balanced or need stuff done fast.
Only time I've gone for an extended service plan is for my TV.
Seriously, what can go wrong with you're new bike? take care of it, change fluids when needed.
Enjoy you're new rocket, ride safe & always wear you're FULL gear.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If you do stuff yourself, then it's a waste of money. The only time my bike will see a dealership is if it involves warranty. You might have a good dealership, but the local kawi dealership here has nothing but bad reviews. So even when there is something I can't/don't feel comfortable doing (valve clearance checks), I'll take it to an independent shop before I take it to the dealership.

Hell, I even change/mount/balance my own tires now. Saves me a trip and $30 every time I need to change from street tires to track tires.
-Cody

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good responses so far. I appreciate it!
I've been told the first service is probably the most important one to bring to a dealership. I may do that to make sure everything is up to par after break-in, After that, I'll stick to doing things myself, unless I don't have the right tools (and they cost more than I'm willing to spend). Plus, L8R brought up a good point, I have all of you (and other forums) to help me! :D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'd say even that is a crock. Just go over the essentials (bolts are tight, etc) and you'll be fine.
-Cody

·
Registered
835 Posts
They tell you that so it become habit to bring to their dealership, they make crap selling bike's...service department & parts make the money.
Learn to do this stuff yourself, its so easy & rewarding. Crack a few beer's (not too many) crank up the tunes & get to checking torque spec's, changin fluids.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I used to be like you with no real experience working on bikes but now I'm much better versed, albeit I'm still a newb.

I bought a service plan for my first ninja250. Not really worth the money.

Oil changes are easy and a good thing to start learning on. Cleaning and lubing your chain is something any monkey can do.

I find that not being intimidated by these maintenance tasks and approaching them as if you should know what you're doing, helps with the mental block.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I bought a service plan on my 250 last year. I've worked on cars since I was 8 and for some reason I thought that working on cars and bikes would be different. They aren't. Turning a wrench is turning a wrench. Anything I didn't know I found here. I didn't need the service plan but since I paid for it I used the hell out of it. I put almost 12000 on the bike last year and it went in for services 5 times. I got more than my money' worth I think. The shop guys always did a great job and always made time to talk to me and explain what they did, why, and how it would affect the bikes perfomance. My service package also moved me to the front of the line in the service department so it was always same day turn around. And a 10% discount on parts and accessories. I only used that when I couldn't find it cheaper online. I'd be more satisfied if the plan were transferable to my zx6r like I was told it would be. I wouldn't spend the money on it again.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it definitely sounds like I'll be able to do my own work. How about if I need spare OEM parts, like screws (if any get stripped), oil filters, etc? Is there a certain vendor on this site that people use (that hopefully offers discounts to forum members)? :D

Sent from my DROID using Motorcycle App.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
the local kawi dealer should sell lil boxes of bolts and plastic pins. i just picked up a set today for myself because i lose usually 1/3 of the bolts or push pins per project.... its just the way i am. lol.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the local kawi dealer should sell lil boxes of bolts and plastic pins. i just picked up a set today for myself because i lose usually 1/3 of the bolts or push pins per project.... its just the way i am. lol.
lol, I was like that with my 4-wheeler. I installed the frame sliders on my bike which required me to remove all the fairings and I did good, so we'll see. Good to know they sell that stuff by the box. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
An impact driver will save you lots of headaches from stripping out bolts!
-Cody

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An impact driver will save you lots of headaches from stripping out bolts!
-Cody
Great idea!! I've been looking for a reason to buy one. :D

Sent from my DROID using Motorcycle App.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts