Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got back from Laconia last night, it was great! Anyways, my bike is just over 600 miles and needs the service. Should i not ride it until i get the service or is it like an oil change in a car? Thanks again in advance!!:D

"Drive it like you stole it!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
what is all involved in the first service. I know its an oil change but why is it so important???What else do they do???I asked 3 people at the dealership and got 3 different answers

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oil change is vital after a build (or new engine). The engine is full of metal filings from the build and the oil takes them away. Drop the oil + filter = remove the metal bits floating around inside = less chance of wear due to friction of that metal on the cylinder walls, etc.

That's from a mechanic's perspective btw.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't delay on the oil change. Go to the dealership and order your service manual and get a filter. Besides the oil change check the torque specs on important items, and the levels of your other fluids. Big Gripe to Kawasaki about the owners manual.. too much "See your kawasaki dealer" in the maintenance section.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I worked at a bike shop for about 4 years as parts manager and just got finished building my zx6rr with the thinner gaskets stronger valve springs and the diffrent cams, but the first service is like going to a doctor for a check up 99% of the time nothing is the matter but there is always this chance and the facotry's tell you this so they might be able to catch a problem. I have always changed the oil at 500 miles and 1000 miles and again at 2000 miles then go to regular intervals because of the nice metal in the oil. My opinion on the 600 mile service is that it is a money making thing for dealers and is not required or really needed. Just change the oil and filter and look over stuff(like engine bolts just little things) but your bike should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by tazacm

what is all involved in the first service. I know its an oil change but why is it so important???What else do they do???I asked 3 people at the dealership and got 3 different answers
Have you checked out the owner's manual? It shows all scheduled maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.