Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding sport bikes for more than 14 years, I had put in 5,000 miles on the bike this summer, I had been down only once when somebody decided to stop in front of me in the middle of the road for no apparent reason and lowsided the bike, but that was years ago...
it had been a while since I went through that moment where you know you're going down, and that's never a good moment.

'went over the bars last night, at about 80mph....
I'm starting to feel the pain just now in my left wrist...
I have a few rashes in my fingers for wearing gloves with no finger protection... they were torn to shit by the way, my tourmaster draft jacket held pretty good, it's going directly to the trash can though. my helmet had its share of scratches from the pavement, not too bad but that's gotta go too, looking at my jacket, gloves and helmet I can just imagine what it would be like to go down not wearing them. that woulda sucked big time. my riding buddies can't believe I didn't sustain any more injuries, I jumped back on my feet to go pick up the bike... oh my bike! it wasn't that bad really, I'm lucky I guess, broken right clip on but the front brake is un-touched. broken stator cover, and rashed-up right fairings and tail. that's weird, right? even though the stator cover broke, the left fairings are clean.
not going through insurance company, I'll fix it up myself.

The Error... plain and simple? I didn't ride my own bike. the guy in front of me took the curve waaay too wide and I thought he was going to go off the road and that distract me for a split second and you know that's all it takes.

They couldn't stop talking about how lucky I am but I was thinking Shit, how much is this gonna cost me?.... now that we are going to have such great weather next weekend!.... would it look cool if I paint it in a matte color this time?... at least the tail and the lower part of the fairings?....

I was about to take pictures of the bike this morning but it doesn't even look too bad, just the broken clip on and scratches on the right fairings and tail... nothing spectacular.

go ahead guys, torture me for being such an idiot, right now it's not my wrist that hurt more, it's my pride.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
At least you are okay. Bikes are replaceable, you aren't.

--David

·
Registered
306 Posts
it could have been a lot worse, glad your ok, and glad you were geared up, sounds like fairly minor damages to the bike so maybe you'll be back on the road sooner than you think

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I know how easily that sort of thing can happen, because I've lost count of how many times I've run wide on a corner because of watching what the bike/rider in front of me was doing. I've even followed someone off the racetrack once because of this.

You know what you did wrong, and that understanding is the one thing which will make you a better rider.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just fix the bike up and get back out there. I'm sure you'll be more aware next time.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Wow; you must have a guardian angel or something... 80? No serious injuries? Go buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, 80, that's what makes it suck so much!! and that was a shitty curve, shit the whole thing sucks so much I'm embarrassed to go see my friends. One of them told me to come over his house on friday and he will let me borrow one of his bikes. I don't think I'll do that, I'm gonna wait 'til mine is in perfect shape.

I know at 80 if you're wearing proper gear it's hard to sustain serious injuries but I forgot to tell you guys that I ended up in the oncoming lane.

hell, shit happens at any speed so I know I'm lucky to be here.

please wear your gear everyone, I know I will!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.